Careful which way you look, Jehovahs about.

by sleepy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Well you never know.
    Lots wife got turned into a giant lump of salt for just looking in the wrong direction.

Did this account ever make sense to you?
    The watchtower always tried to jusify it by saying she must have looked back longingly.It that really a good reason to kill someone?
    Especially after you have just saved them.

Then David sleeps with someone not his wife has her husband killed and his kid get the punishment!

Adam eats an apple and turns us all inperfect.

Moses hits a rock and say something he shouldn't and gets banned from the promised land, Arron make a false God but lives while all the rest get slaughtered.

Then another couple sell their field hide a bit of the money give the rest to the congregation and get struck dead for it , while old men can run a religion that invest millions in share and on the stock market.

Schizophrenic or what?
    Flipping Nora.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Lots wife got turned into a giant lump of salt for just looking in the wrong direction.

Salt was an expensive commodity back then. I never understood why Lot and his daughters didn't keep her.

Andi

• b_ster
    b_ster

Ever see Mel Brooks' "History of the World Part One"?

There is one scene where the guys wife gets turned to stone because she looked back. Later you see them scraping a bit of salt off here for seasoning...

• astroboy
    astroboy

Can you picture Lot and his daughters sitting at the dinner table and someone ask "can you pass mama please?"

• Kismet
    Kismet

I always thought that Lot's wife must have been in salted (insulted) by the whole ordeal.

She should have sued for a-salt (assault)

Ugh ... puns...shuddering

Kismet

• Jewel
    Jewel

One of the stories that always bothered me was Dinah. I read this one to my kids from the Bible Story Book to get their take.

Apparently Dinah (daughter of Jacob and Leah-the wife he didn't like but managed to have ten sons with) was hanging around with the girls of "the land". Shechem sees her somewhere around and "took her and lay down with her and violated her". In the Bible Story book this is said to be a rape, though I couldn't find in my Bible where there was any mention of force. It does say he was in love with Dinah and wanted to marry her. So his father goes to Jacob and asks if Shechem can marry Dinah. Shechem says, "Let me find favor in your eyes and whatever you will say to me I shall give it. Raise very high the marriage money and gift imposed upon me, and I stand willing to give according to what you may say to me; only give me the young woman as a wife."

Always seemed to me he wanted to do the honorable thing here. So her brothers say that Shechem and all the other Hivite men have to get circumcised. Shechem and his father talk the others into this (I always thought that seemed like the ultimate in friendship) and while all the men are "aching", Simeon and Levi (Dinah's brothers) proceed to murder her new husband and father-in-law. The rest of the brothers decide to get in on the act:

"The other sons of Jacob attacked the fatally wounded men and went plundering the city, because they had defiled their sister. Their flocks and their herds and their asses and what was in the city and what was in the field they took. And all their means of maintenance and all their little children and their wives they carried off captive, so that they plundered all that was in the houses."

Genesis 34

The moral (or punchline)according to the WTBTS is that this is all (drumroll) DINAH'S fault. You couldn't really blame her brothers, they just got mad and went a little far. If Dinah had stayed home and not had worldy friends, none of this would have happened. You can't blame Shechem (even if it was a rape)because if she's out there walking around in public and talking to worldly people, apparently she was asking for it.

After I read the story I just waited for a response. The kids sat there for a moment and then my middle one says, "If that isn't the dumbest thing in the world! How was it the girl's fault that all these guys were nuts?"

Made me feel like I'm raising them right...

Jewel

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

WOW!!!.......well, if the god of the bible is allowed to go around murdering people,...and the examples of faithful men in the bible go around murdering people.....then the followers of the god of the bible are going to do that too.

no wonder then, that anyone who follows the mental attitude established by the bible, becomes like the gov body.
    cold hearted murderers.

• sableindian
    sableindian

Check out my post

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=37328&site=3

Dinah, guilty or not guilty

Did you write to Jehovahs Witnesses about your feelings about Dinah? Did they respond? I did, no response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit