NOT JOKE: Dr. Rodney Stark's Analysis of JW's

by slipnslidemaster 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

It's a long read but it's very interesting. I think pretty objective too. I liked the statistics compared to the census and polling data. I've always held that the "16,000,000" or whatever the count is for the Memorial is reflective of inactive and DF'd plus the publishers and kids. I don't think that a very large part of that number is interested ones at all.

When I went this year, I don't remember seeing that many new faces. It seemed like less then 5%.

http://lsb.scu.edu/econrel/Downloads/JWGrow-O.pdf

Thank you to Waiting and Herbert who originally found this essay.

Slipnslidemaster:"There are no facts, only interpretations."
    - Nietzsche

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• waiting
    waiting

shucks - t'wern't me

But I did print it out......and Starks' report is primarily addressing the growth of jw's. Nothing about their beliefs pro/con - other than how they get the group to grow.

In fact, he thought it was interesting that they were good at growth (this was 1997) and a firm upholding in df'ing dissidents helped this - as it got rid of any who disagreed. Made those staying work a little harder.

It also helped for growth that the locals were pushed in service to get converts, even though it took massive hours to get converts. Why? Kept the locals busy and out of the mischief of thinking independent thoughts......and keeps them in the org.

Just like a cow led to slaughter.......keep them pinned tight, don't let their head move left or right, keep pushing them forward........and then knock them so hard between the eyes they can't do anything...then kill 'em. Of course it works......for a while.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Btw, think back to the populace at the Memorial.

"16,000,000" or whatever the count is for the Memorial is reflective of inactive and DF'd plus the publishers and kids
    You're right, df'd family.....people off the street who'd been given decent clothes to wear...dragging their kids in. Children of jw parents who we hadn't seen in years only coming to make mom happy. And mom was.

Also, the Memorial is equivelant to Easter - with the fancy clothes, good humor, etc. Also, people who'll miss all meetings for years, will faithfully come to the Memorial - because they've been taught it's the "most important day of the year. The only day we're commanded to come together."

What a crock.

waiting

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

thanks for this - interesting -study!

What I do find a bit.... it's the conclusion

with the projestion for the future...!

Can you imagine...16,20,30 millions???

But the " eyes " will ever be opened??

Also very interesting the part about

proselitism in the Islamic countries!

And what about the great nation of China??

Well, a nice piece of excellent work to keep for

future reference.

Thanks again..Waiting and Slipandslidemaster.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I definitely enjoyed the statistical analysis.

I think that he's off on the growth projections though. Besides, the end is right around the corner right?

Slipnslidemaster:"There are no facts, only interpretations."
    - Nietzsche

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit