Any Experience with a Nook, the Barnes and Noble e-reader

by Band on the Run 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My Nook has been so much fun. The Nook was chosen b/c you could get in store support. I was always driving to Barnes and Noble in the beginning. Six books I had yet to read disappeared. They are missing from actual Nook and my Smartphone. There were books I always wanted to read, such as Proust, Remembrances of Things Past. I figured that if I did not start reading it now I will never finish before I die. Doris Kerns Goodwin's book on the friendship between Pres. Teddy Roosevelt and Pres./Chief Justice Taft is also missing. I calculate that about $150. is missing. The technology is so sweet when it works and maddening when it does not work.

• nonjwspouse
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have a Kindle fire, which I love. No problems with books disappearing, but a lot of charging issues. They have replaced it four times due to this, unfortunately it's a known flaw with the kindles. I am now out of warranty, the problem came back. I tried another charger, now it's working fine.

I use mine for everything, not just book reading, so even with the issues it's worth it to me. The last I checked they were pretty cheap and Amazon customer service is very good, so if this one dies I will probably just buy another.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Lisa, I use a Kindle too. The main thing I dont like is that it wont open a lot of videos, like when a post has a link, I will click on it and it tells me I need Flash. Well, the Kindle says I have Flash, but it still wont download or play. So if I really want to see the link, I go to my desktop. My friend has a Nook but I dont think she uses it. She is old fashioned and likes to read a "real" book from the printed page.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Band on the Run: I don't know whether this could be your problem, but my Significant Other had a similar issue with some Kindle books she had bought on Amazon. On her Kindle app, she couldn't find certain books she knew she had bought. They weren't even listed under her Amazon account. We emailed Amazon about her disappearing books and they discovered the problem. It turned out that she had inadvertently used her email address to set up 2 different accounts with the same user ID but with different passwords. She set up the second one when she wanted to buy something and forgot she already had an account. Anyway, the solution was simple. Amazon combined the accounts and she selected which password she wanted to use with the new combined account.

Good luck.

• Simon
    Simon

We have the kindle paper-whites, work great and good to read on (esp outdoors) but sometimes you just can't beat that tactile experience of reading old-fashioned ink on mashed up tree ...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, Safeathome, Flash doesn't support Kindle, I hate that. Especially in news reports when they don't give you a link to find out what the video was about. I also have not found a way to print directly from Kindle which is a huge flaw to me.

I still mostly read regular books, but sometimes it so convenient to buy e-versions, and its nice when going somewhere not to have to drag a bunch of books with me.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I spent more than a hour talking with Nook Support. Email accounts were the problem. I need to get a new Nook app from the Playstore. My passswords became less univeral a few months ago. She found my missing books. I have to figure out the password for my router. There was a sync problem b/c of the different email accounts. I could cure the website that would not let me use my old password. I can't wait to be able to read my Android phone. Thanks for all the help. Whenever I ask tech question here, I get great advice.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

i love my kindle-never lost a book, but if Amazon charges me for anything, it is always re-downloadable. My only problem was my charger, but I was using my phone charger which seems the same, but my kindle doesn't prefer it. Anyway, they sent me a new one and after I realized what MY problem was. So, I have two kindles (they didn't want the old one back for some reason).

The charger is a PITB and it is hard to find the Belkin case that i have for my kindle fire now because of all the new models. It is leather and hot pink, but nearly 3 years old now and its looking a little ratty, so I want a new one (Its kinda perfect!) I need to look around for that again. LOVE my Kindle and if not for the fact that it works great, Iwould buy more of them (but I already have a spare).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit