Symposium: Those Who Will Inherit God's Kingdom

by 88JM 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 88JM
    88JM

It's been said before that once you know TTATT, then you listen with very different ears to talks at conventions. I thought the second symposium this year on Saturday morning of the convention was particularly terrible - here's what I had as the summary of the four parts:

• Those "Who Are Poor"

- According to this talk, Jesus wasn't referring to literal poverty at Luke 6:20. Without any justification, they did some gymnastics by linking it to Matthew 5:3 trying to show that Jesus was apparently referring to some sort of spiritual poverty/being aware of a spiritual need.
    • Those Who "Become as Young Children"

- According to the WTBTS, being as young children means being obeying without question, and trying to show mindlless enthusiasm for preaching, even if we don't enjoy it.
    • Those "Persecuted for Righteousness' Sake"

- They only really mentioned phyisical persecution in 3rd world countries, but they made the mistake of picking Malawi as an example and the brothers not buying party-political cards etc. I think we all know the hypocrisy of that situation - I can't believe they still have the tenacity to use it as an example.
    • Those Who Help Christ's Brothers

- "Christ's brothers" in this context only referrs to the anointed, of course (there was no reference to even attempt back this up) and the talk was an advertisment for many ways to waste your time in various avenues of construction, pioneering etc.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The becoming as young children bit really hit me. My convention was shortly after I finished reading one of Steve Hassan's books in which he talked about how cults often stress being child-like as a virtue in order to age regress adherents to a point before the had critical thinking skills.

• Perry
    Perry

The "Christ's brothers" schtick of the WT always bothered me.

Christ's brothers are primarily his Israeli countrymen. Others were later "grafted in", but that doesn't change the most literal meaning.

Jesus once said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit