Not on JW.org: New Jehovah's Witness employee refuses to work Sundays or Thursday night and sues employer.

by Balaamsass2 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Food Lion Hit With EEOC Suit Over Jehovah’s Witness Firing

Share us on: By Brandon Lowrey

Law360, Los Angeles (August 20, 2014, 2:07 PM ET) -- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Wednesday slapped Food Lion LLC with a federal employment discrimination suit alleging the North Carolina-based grocery retailer fired an employee because he was unavailable to work on days he had to attend Jehovah's Witness services and meetings.

The complaint alleges Food Lion hired Victaurius L. Bailey as a meat cutter in June 2011 and violated the Civil Rights Act when it fired him weeks later over his faith-based refusal to work on Sundays or on Thursday evenings.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Why did he even apply for that job to begin with? First he should have informed his future employer before he was hired about his limitations. Another example of a JW who wasn't honest about his intentions. Then they piss and moan to the court system to get sympathy. JWs disgust me!!

• alanv
    alanv

Just had a look at the article and apparantly the guy was an elder who told his employer he needed those two times off when he started his employment. He was later transferred to another branch where the manager told him he had to work Sunday. He would not work Sunday so he was fired.

So I think in this instance the elder did nothing wrong. Here is a link to the story

http://www.counton2.com/story/26328925/eeoc-files-lawsuit-against-food-lion-over-firing

• designs
    designs

Interesting case. Did he have anything in writing from the employer.

• steve2
    steve2

If he were hired with an agreement that he could have specified days off and the employer unilaterally alters the agreement, there would be valid grounds for refusing.

• KateWild
    KateWild

To be fair I think both sides have legitimate reasons to fight their case. A business must make a profit to pay the wages, employees have the right to time off. In the UK now it is really difficult when you change career or starting out to get good terms and conditions at work. There are many skilled workers on minimum wage in jobs they did not train for.

Earning enough money just to pay the rent/mortgage is gettng impossible. I know of people who work 3 jobs 60 hrs a week and still struggle to make ends meet.

Kate xx

• Balaamsass2
  • Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

After googling it appears that "shift work" in the USA has increased from 10% of the work force in the 1980s to 70% recently. (http://nywea.org/clearwaters/11-4-winter/6.pdf) While this number seems high to me, more Americans are employed in the service industries than in the past. It seems the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is placing an unrealistic burden on it's members AND EMPLOYERS by having so many meetings. JESUS and the Jews only attended meetings on the Sabbath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit