Comments on Tonight's Investigation Discovery Program

by jamiebowers 4 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/deadly-devotion/deadly-devotion-videos/if-the-end-is-coming-so-soon-why-do-you-need-an-education.htm

I made my comment. Hopefully as many who are able will do the same.

Edited to add: Once the commercial is over and the video starts, you can pause it and click on Comments read what's already been written and add what you have to say. Also you have to sign up for an account in order to respond.

• under the radar
    under the radar

I posted mine, for whatever good it will do...

• Tech49
    Tech49

Ok, I will chime in. I saw the program as well. It did have its share of inaccuracies. Maybe I will play the devils advocate a little bit.

I was surprised that the writers/producers did not have a JW or exJW perhaps "critique" it for accuracy, terminology, expressions, etc. Many of the scenes displayed of the "services" at the KH could have been done better, the dress/attire of the "witnesses" could have been more accurately displayed. The scenes of the "elders" talking to the young lady were a little over the top, the "main elder dude" looked pretty scary, and it seemed like a little more effort was made to make the whole scene look "cultish".

Now don't mistake me here, I get the point of the program. This young lady and her family were killed by a psychopath, who paraded himself around as a "brother". I get it. Were the "elders" guilty of not protecting her? Yes, to an extent. So many "brothers" let them down, and ultimately contributed to the sad scenario.

But the bigger issue that is insinuated is .... THEY CAUSED IT!!!? No, they did not. Jehovah's Witnesses did not CAUSE this situation. Did they ALLOW it to happen?? Maybe. Remember too, that these events took place 30 years ago.... not an excuse, but I think it fair to say that the "brothers" (who were likely born in the 30's and 40's) were pretty "hard-ass" about some things at the time (coming from a different "generation"), and weren't as concerned about a woman's equal rights in the household and congregation arrangement. Times ARE different now, albeit not as they should be in reality. Are there groups of brothers right now that might act the same way towards a similar situation?? ... probably. Are there young single moms that are victims of abuse, and who are drawn to abusive relationships? Yes, to both counts. Are some JW's? Yes.

But be careful not to use this situation, and granted there are probably hundreds just like it, to paint a broad brush across the entire organization, or congregation. The same would be true for any of the other Investigatin Discovery programs (if you have been watching the series), you could use the same brush to paint across the LDS, the Amish, Baptists, Catholics, Protestants, etc, etc. based on 1 incredible story of abuse, violence, and criminal behavior, including that of a churche's leaders.

Overall, I appreciated the story, and parts of it rang true and left me embarrassed to still be associated to a degree with this bunch, but I thought that it was a feeble attempt at "demonizing" an entire group. More effect could have hit the mark if someone had done a little more homework, been less haphazard, and had been a little more factual. Granted, its made for TV, and with a limited timeslot, it can be a challenge. At the same time, I was also dissappointed that not much, if anything, was said about how someone in a similar situation to the young lady could receive help, or be encouraged to walk away from such a situation. I dont mean to sound cold, but you get the point. How about a link or phone number of a national hotline for abuse victims??... something along those lines. It would have been nice if Discovery had taken things just a little further and showed more responsibility with their programming. Again, its made for TV.

Now, don't string me up, I am just trying to be objective in looking at things from all sides. Carry on.

Jack Harper, Tech49

• luna2
    luna2

I don't have cable any more, so there are some shows that I cannot see. I thought your review sounded very balanced, Tech49. There are plenty of things to criticize about Jehovah's Witnesses and the WTBTS, its not necessary to trump things up for more drama.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I thought this show was excellent. They got more things right than they did wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit