Holy Smoke - Cult Outing

by Sam Beli 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Holy Smoke – Cult Outing

Starz! Channel 520 (on Direct TV satellite) is broadcasting this movie as I write this. It is played by American and Australian actors. Kate Winslet plays a cult member needing to be rescued from an Indian cult. Harvey Keitel plays the Steve Hassen like character.

Has anyone seen this movie set in the Australian outback?

Sam Beli

"...religion opposes the commandments of Almighty God." Violence by J. F. Rutherford 1938

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Sam,

Yup, I saw it a couple of years ago, but I was (thankfully) already out of the borg by then. I found it very interesting, although a little weird. I usually like movies that are off the beaten path--and that one definitely was intriguing because of the subject matter. I'm not sure though that Steve Hassan would like being compared to Harvey Keitel though, if only because of the methods used. They do a similar work, but Steve's is much more effective and positive. Let me know what you think--especially the end.

Becky

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hi Becky,

You are correct, this rescuer was no Steve Hassan if I know Steve. He became too involved with his client and in the end needed rescuing as much as the one he came to help. No “professional” rescuer would become so intimately involved with the rescued, and I do mean intimate in the worst way from a professional standpoint.

The first 1/3 of the movie gave me hope that it would be insightful, but then it deteriorated into what you called weird and lost touch with normal reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit