does the BORG follow OSHA standards at KH/ASSEMBLY builds?

by goingthruthemotions 9 Replies latest jw friends

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Had a discussion with my wife about KH/assembly hall builds and i told her i don't believe the watchtower society follow OSHA standards on there build sites.

she trumpted it up that the BORG follows stringent pratices and there standards would be more strict. i laughed and said....ya i don't think so. i work at a place that follows OSHA standards and it very strict.

many procedures to follow.....oh and by the way.....the BORG is a joke they have no clue what any kind of standards are!

Shalom

GTTM

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Not entirely on topic, but I remember one of the JWstruggle interviews a while back where he talked to an ex-bethelite that said they bragged about not having to follow OSHA standards at bethel for one reason or another.

I haven't been on a lot of construction sites, but the safety does seem a little more lax on the KH builds than the construction sites that I have been on.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Well......the answer is yes and no and maybe. Generally, most construction sites are always in violation of OSHA at one time or another. I have for the most part the builds are fairly on point. At least on point as most sites, and of course the "safety team" can sometimes bring them up a notch. They have the truck huddles OSHA wants, and they generally are applying all guidelines regarding noise, dust, and more.

Kids and minors on site......that is an issue. But the society has a layman workforce for the most part. I am sure there is a work around for volunteer work force for a religious institution.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I know they use to allow children on the builds but I think that was stopped a number of years ago. I know you have to be 16 and I think baptized now to be on the site. More than 25 years ago we were on a KH building site and a 16 years old who just got her drivers license backed into a 2 year old and she died from the injuries.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

the rbc rules have become way more strict in the past few yEars. the safety brigade is everywhere on job sites. No one under 16 is allowed on site anymore. when I was a kid it was a free for all.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Not sure their safety has improved, they allowed many people to work in a hall clearing a black mold problem. Problem was, there were no masks for several days....not what I'd call safe by anyone's standards.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Of course they do!

Just like the bone-head RBC oversneer that I saw first hand on the last KH project I was at some five years ago. He came in, spouted off about "safety" and how we were showing loyalty to JAH by being obedient, and how anyone not following the safety rules would be barred from the site, all the while standing in front of the "Hard hats must be worn at all times" sign with his tucked firmly under his arm!

I guess the "rebel" in me came out because I took mine off, tossed it in the corner and said, "If you don't have to wear one, neither do I!"

I was "invited" to leave, which I did.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Black mold......is not neccesarily toxic cult be gone.

But still, who knows if they were treating it right. i doubt it.

I'm just saying, I think they are pretty much on par with normal construction sites, if not a little better because of the morbid fear of lawsuits and lack of proper bonding and insurance that a contractor would provide.

Did I mention I am a contractor?

• blondie
    blondie

Certain employers are expressly not covered by the OSH Act meaning none of the rules apply to these businesses. That includes self-employed people, farms that employ only immediate family members, and people who employ others for domestic services such as cleaning and child care.

Churches and religious church activities, states, and businesses that are governed by federal agencies are also not bound by OSH Act regulations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11/is-your-small-business-ex_n_1664656.html

http://www.safetyservicescompany.com/topic/safety-school/who-is-covered-or-not-by-osha/

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father and two other men did most of the construction at the KH. Guess who assisted? My mom stopped by and was livid. We were playing on the site. OSHA probably did not exist then. NJ codes existed. How about a reasonbly prudent parent standard? These sites are so dangerous. I spent hours sanding. Some sisters came by with food.

When I was a teen, it was expected that constructing bldgs over a certain size would result in workmen deaaths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit