No Common Sense (About Convention)

by EmptyInside 8 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,the guilt trip worked in getting them to the international convention,even though,for some,it put their health at great risk.

I'm glad that an elderly relative showed some common sense and realized she couldn't make the convention. But,people still treated her oddly about not going.

One of her friends,who had a stroke in the past,thought about not attending,only to get screamed at by her so-called friends. She did go,but it was hard on her. All the walking and standing in line,wore her out.

There were a couple that made it to the convention location,but had to stay in the hotel room. And one Witness ended up in the hospital with a life-threatening condition caused by the long distance traveling.

If someone has a serious health problem,why can't they have the common sense to stay at home. But, I think they are worried how others will judge them,and feel like they aren't putting their trust in Jehovah.

• millie210
    millie210

I dont think this is going to be such a looming issue soon.

The assemblies will be streamed or on the JW Org site in the future - just like the Mormons!

Meanwile, I am sorry that so many people you care about were so inconvienced.

• Perry
    Perry

Jesus said his yoke was easy and his load light. The WT always seems to guilt people with talk titles such as; Do Your Utmost to __________________ .

We do have a choice of whom to believe. It is one of the purest choices we have as humans.

• Mum
    Mum

99.999% of what JW's do is out of concern for how other JW's might judge them, not out of "love" for "Jehovah" or a sense of right and wrong. They are living inauthentic lives, masquerading as paragons of piety when all they really need is a week off to relax with no concerns about how it looks to their JW buddies.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

My former Bible Study conductor told me about a Witness who was in danger of being DFed because 'someone' saw him 'smoking a cigarette' in a restaurant. Upon investigation, it turned out the man who was seen 'smoking' was actually eating a cheesestick! That to me illustrates how JWs are slaves to 'how things APPEAR' rather than how things really are. How many Witnesses have been DFed because some busybody assumed they were doing something wrong. That's life in a totalitarian organization!

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

It has always bothered me that ones who are sick will still go to a meeting not caring if others catch what they have, they are very unreasonable. Years ago we use to sit out in the dead heat of the summer for the DC and you would see elderly ones and others with health problems sitting there proving to all they were so faithful to Jehovah. Drives me nuts!

• SAHS
    SAHS

“EmptyInside”: “I'm glad that an elderly relative showed some common sense and realized she couldn't make the convention. But, people still treated her oddly about not going.”

Well, if she did go and attend, she just might have had an opportunity to touch the suit jacket of one of the GB members, or even of one of their top-ranking representatives, and be healed from all her maladies right there on the spot! Or one such “glorious ones” could have announced the opportunity for all ailing ones to come up and touch the edge of the stage platform – and be healed! See what she missed out on.

[That indeed be clever sarcasm. Yep. Sarcasm that be. Yep indeed.]

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

EmptyInside - "...people still treated her oddly about not going."

There's a touch of jealosy/resentment there, too, I suspect.

• MissFit
    MissFit

My mother is in her 80's. She lives far away from me about 1 hour away from Seattle.

She couldn't get anyone to take her. The elders told her they didnt want the responsibility in case she got sick. They were going to arrange to show the c.ds of the convention to a group of ones that could not go.

So apparently some elders had some common sense or were at least afraid of being liable if something happened.

Miss.Fit who did NOT travel all that way to take her mother to the DC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit