by fulltimestudent 6 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

No need for a comment from me:

New campus of NYU Shanghai put into use

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The library will be available for use 24 hours each day

This University is located in the Lujiazui area in Pudong, Shanghai. Its siuted in a 15 story building and has (to commence) 51 classrooms and 13 educational laboratories.

The venture seems to be a joint venture with East China Normal University, and is the third degree-granting portal campus in NYU ' s global network .

(PS: I'm waiting for one of China's top Universities to open a campus here in Sydney-smile)

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The Library:

New campus of NYU Shanghai put into use

• fulltimestudent
  • Paris
    Paris

Are the empty places on the shelves where the Chinese Communist Dictatorship removed books on Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, and Printed records of the Bill of Rights ? I am assuming they also removed any books on Human Rights, minimum wage, universal education free to all through High School or books on the Democratic Process, The French Revolution, the American Revolution, Ghandi, and I am sure you will not find the writings of Jean-Jacues Rousseau such as On the Social Contract, or his Discourse on the Origin of Inequality.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Well Paris, I am not quite clear as to the last time you looked out the window and got a good clear view of the real world. anyway, in response to your post:

1. It is quite likely that during the so-called Cultural Revolution there was a lot of censorship of books in China, but these days there is less and less.

2. In connection with NYU, Shanghai campus, may I point out to you the blindingly obvious fact that this is a new facility. The University planning committee would have stipulated to the designers how much shelf space they would need for the books they needed for their planned courses. The empty shelves are likely a result of stock not yet purchased.

3. You can find in Chinese bookshops a variety of western books, on many subjects. Plus, you may not understand that a few million Chinese have now been educated in western universities, and have had access to their libraries. In fact, the head of Sydney University's Chinese department stated recently in a talk that nearly all of the next generation of Chinese leaders (i.e. those who may become the political leaders, when the current leaders terms of office expire) have had a western university education in which they have been exposed to all the ideas I'm assuming you have been exposed to. (Excluding, I guess the wonderful vision of Yahweh's long delayed Paradise)

4. I havn't time (or, the language skills) to attempt to identify books on all the topics you mentioned. So I decided to see what was available on Rousseau. THis is the result from a search of Tsinghua University's Library database. I'm not going to sort it out - ther are 88 pages of result. So I'll leave it to you.

This library has more than 2,500,000 books. Here's a claim in the Library description.

During the Cultural Revolution, the budget of the Library was deeply cut. The Library stopped buying or subscribing to many important books and periodicals. Fortunately, with the help of faculty members, students, and librarians, most of the Library's collection survived that tragic period.
    The collection has grown rapidly since 1978 and reached 2.5 million volumes by 1990. The new building of Tsinghua University Library, which was finished in September 1991, signaled a new stage in the Library's development. The construction was supported by the donation of Dr. Run Run Shaw and the appropriation of the State Education Commission. In 1994, the new building was named after Dr. Shaw. It has received several national awards for its architectural design. Presently, the Tsinghua University Library building has 28,000 square meters of floor space and provides 2,800 seats.

and one of the student guides to the university library:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzQyMDcwNDky.html?f=16919888

5. Universities aside, this is a view of just part of The National Library of China in Beijing:

The National Library of China in Beijing is the largest library in Asia. It holds the largest and among the richest worldwide collections of Chinese literature and historical documents.

I think you can see Paris, that your world-view is way out of date, I suggest you get out more and see the reality of what is really happening in our world.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Somehow (last evening) I failed to post the link to Tsinghua University Library's database for Rousseau's Books and commentaries on those books. As I said there are 88 pages with 12 entries per page.

http://innopac.lib.tsinghua.edu.cn/search/Y?SEARCH=rousseau&SORT=D&searchscope=1&image.x=25&image.y=10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit