Minimum statutory paid leave

by tornapart 3 Replies latest social current

• tornapart
    tornapart

I was surprised to read that the US has no minimum statutory paid leave. In the EU the minimum is 20 days annually. Some countries give much more. (In the UK it's 28).

I realise that employers of good companies will grant paid leave, some maybe generously but what about the workers in companies that don't? Surely this is like being in an under developed country not one that claims to be a superior democracy!

How much paid leave do you get in your country? Or how good is your company (if you work for one) in giving paid leave?

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

I believe they also don't have a minimum wage act.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Yes, I read that a bill was introduced into Congress for a mandatory week's paid leave back in May but nothing's been done yet. Apparently it leaves an eigth of the US workforce with no paid holidays at all!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, the US is becoming more and more under the control of large corporations. The recession has not ended for many Americans, they are either unemployed so long they have given up, or under employed, so they don't get enough hours to make a living or qualify for benefits, vacation pay is the least of it. The ACA is helping, but it doesn't cover everybody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit