Rationale for international conventions

by Socrateswannabe 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

It's been kicked around already that the conventions were logistically disasterous and spiritually vapid. My question, and I hope you will add your comments to mine, is: WHY? Why did the WTBS go through the trouble of putting these things on? We were told that our convention was 2 years in the making. So 2 years of blood, sweat, and tears for what? For the brothers? To encourage us? To feed us spiritually? No way! My guess is that these things are elaborate publicity stunts. They are attention getters. They attract the media. Somehow the GB goobers think this is a positive thing. I have a feeling the truth is that people who live in the convention cities have a markedly lower opinion of JWs, post-convention, than they had beforehand.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well I think the reason we have annual assemblies big or small is because Armaggedon hasn't come yet.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

............BECAUSE THEY ARE VERY PROFITABLE AND THEY KEEP EVERYONE RAMPED UP! RAH! RAH!

Doc

• millie210
    millie210

I think they wanted an "air" of celebration because of 1914/2014.

SInce nothing has happened to really celebrate - they invented something.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I thought it was so witnesses could mingle with ones from other areas as well as recieve the spiritual food and new releases. When I was a witness the convention was the highlite of the year to me!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I think origonally they were created as a revenue source. The international delegates pay a premium to the WTS to have their travel arranged for them, and the WTS negotiates lower rates for rooms and travel and makes out like bandits. That's why the international conventions weren't usually in the US, because the US is where they have the largest supply of potential delegates with money. This year, they threw the party in the US to distract from the decline and the 100 years of nothin'.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It keeps everyone hyped up, and builds on the emotion of "seeing such a large brotherhood" blah blah.... "A glimpse into new world living"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit