Is Prophecy important?

by EA916 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Viviane,

Well, another issue, is that skeptics will always attempt to date the writing of a book *after* the prophecy is fulfilled.

That's why the "Two Isaiahs" and "Three Isaiah" and "Four Isaiahs" theories exist.

Heck, I've even seen a "seven Isaiahs" theory trying to avoid the idea it was written by the prophet Isaiah.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Prophesies are only important is only one is striving toward disingenuous stupidity and blatant disregard to the reasons why those prophecies inherently originated in their intent.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Well, another issue, is that skeptics will always attempt to date the writing of a book *after* the prophecy is fulfilled.

I didn't mention any of that. I have no idea why you are bringing it up.

The fact of the matter is that you not provided a prophecy that says what will happen with evidence that the things happened.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Isaiah, if it was written by one author, predicted Cyrus by name over a century in advance, giving precise details of what he would do.

That's why I brought it up.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

EA916, resoundingly yes prophets and their prophecies are important. Indeed there was an expectation of messiah based on Daniel's prophecy during the period of the 1st century.

edit: I'm not sure about the sixty-nine weeks of years - I think others may be able to throw some light on that. But Daniel 7:13-14 - probably written at least 100 years before Jesus' birth was fulfilled during the period as prophesied in the shape of kingdom rulership in the hearts and then during the time of Constantine - the reach of a world empire. Whether skeptic or Jesus basher - it has to be admitted that this came true.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Isaiah, if it was written by one author, predicted Cyrus by name over a century in advance, giving precise details of what he would do.
    That's why I brought it up.

Which is completely unrelated to the prophecy you brought up. If you want to discuss a prophecy about Cyrus, please cite the chapter and verse, what it said would happen and we can discuss.

Until then, you've failed to provide a prophecy that accurately predicted what would happen.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    EA916 resoundingly yes prophets and their prophecies are important. Indeed there was an expectation of messiah based on Daniel's prophecy during the period of the 1st century.

And none of those expectations were met.

• cofty
    cofty
    Isaiah, if it was written by one author..

It wasn't

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Ruby456,

Great point.

Yes, we can clearly see in the Gospel of Luke (and also Matthew) that the people had interpreted Daniel to be saying that the Messiah should be arriving around 33 A.D.

Luke 3:15: "Now the people were in expectation and all of them were reasoning in their hearts about John, 'May he perhaps be the Christ?'"

Matthew 24:15: “Therefore, when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken about by Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place (let the reader use discernment."

Luke 19:42-44: saying: “If you, even you, had discerned on this day the things having to do with peace—but now they have been hidden from your eyes. Because the days will come upon you when your enemies will build around you a fortification of pointed stakes and will encircle you and besiege you from every side. They will dash you and your children within you to the ground, and they will not leave a stone upon a stone in you, because you did not discern the time of your being inspected.”

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Cofty,

Have you researched the original reason why the "Two-Isaiah" theory originated?

It was because the skeptic could not believe that a detailed prophecy was written in advance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit