Stupid Illustration

by piztjw 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• piztjw
    piztjw

So this morning a young gun elderoid type of about twenty-five gave a PT about faith.

He used what I thought was a real stupid illustration:

You are told that you must leave in your car this afternoon and drive to Florida. You would be verrrrrrryy worried. Does my car have gasoline? Are the tires inflated or are they flat? When was the last time I changed the oil?

But if you are told to drive to Florida next month THAT'S different. You have time to make sure you have gasoline, the tires are up, and change the oil!

That, according to him, is like faith. God through the Bible gives you advance notice so you can get prepared.

I thought the premise of the illustration was pretty stupid. Only an idiot would run around with a vehicle that they didn't know was fueled up, properly inflated tires, and proper engine maintainence. But I guess in JW land that is standard operation procedure?

So what are the most stupid illustrations you have heard?

• logical1
    logical1

I don't think it's that bad of an illustration. I drive a new, reliable (german) car and even I would hesitate and check the car out and try to remember what I could about the last time it was serviced before I went on a long uninterrupted road trip.

Also most JW's drive old pieces of junk and they probably genuinely have to worry about the condition of the car, and would need time for a mechanic to check it out.

• prologos
    prologos

the young ones in this cong always use introductions, illudtration about money, houses, cars;-- thats on their mind all the time.

like Jesus, never used one illustration about carpentry.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

The problem is the notice in the bible must be pretty opaque considering all the different ways religions have prepared - fitting wheels of cheese, filling up with ketchup and checking the upholstery for ghosts, and that's just the liberal CofE.

• zeb
    zeb

piztjw.jw are as remiss with their cars as with their health I have had a bro say to me "I never look under the bonnet (hood)". another would drive alover the state doing talks at his own expense in a car that had a faulty bonnet lock and numerous other disasters waiting to happen and thought this was funny.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

zeb-they're told that "Jehovah" will protect them so no matter what dumb decision they make, it's "Jehovah" either protecting them or will help them and they will give him all the glory. (If they only knew who "Jehovah" really is.) But then, you can't blame them because that's what they hear from the podium.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit