The video with the engineer crying to his boss.

by Defianttruth 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

I watched this video the other day and would like to add some comments.

I have a team of 3 P.Es that work for me. Sometimes, I have a few guys who will contract when things get busy. A few times a year, I may ask my guys (and gal) to work 60,70,80,90, or every hour during a week. I do not know of any established engineer where this is the norm for every week. It is harder on the younger guys, but this is called proving your worth. Almost every professional has a period of time of "over doing it".

I put myself in the bosses shoes and thought about how I would face a professional employee wanting to work when it was convenient for him. In my head, I would say F&^% off!!!!!!!! Someone telling me that would make me so angry and heres why. As a part of a team everyone must pull his or her wieght in order to get the project done on time. If I was to tell Dave it would be okay for him to cut back on his hours, I would be asking everyone else to work and be away from thier families more. Is that fair? Just because one guy's wife forgot it is her husband's long hours that pay for her very comfortable lifestyle? I damn sure wouldn't go into my personal life and tell the guy, "I wish I would have saved my family". (As a side note Ms. Defiant even with 10% less brain power than me knows where her bread is buttered. She doesn't complain about what I do. She understands what it means to our family. I am so greatful because of her support)

For any witnesses who saw this and thought, "I need to confront my boss just like this guy did." Here's what would really happen. I would tell Dave I am very sorry he feels this way. I will do everything to make it better for him. I would ask him to send me an email stating what schedule he would be able to work. (This would put him in violation of the employment agreement I have with all my employees. My agreement states you will do whatever job I ask at whatever time.) I would ask him to continue as normal for a few weeks so I could move somethings around to accommodate his request. I value his work and all of the things he has done for me and reasure him I will get on this right away. After he left my office, I would call My DO and tell him to come see me and close the door when he comes into my office. I would tell him Dave has lost his mind to his cult we need to start looking for his replacement immediately. I would keep Dave on his same schedule until I got a new person hired and trained. I would then tell Dave I am not able to meet his request as per his email. John here has no problem doing whatever I ask, whenever I ask. See you.......

I am sure someone will say that's cruel, but it is the most fair thing to everyone else but Dave. I can't throw multiple people under the bus to make his wife happy.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I understand where you are coming from, but I can not condone firing a person just for asking for a change in schedule. I would have just told the guy that you could not meet his demand, if he has a problem with that, then you would appreciate enough notice to find and train a new person. I guess you run a risk of his leaving before you get a new guy trained, but I think it's the better option.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Well Lisa,

Once the guy requests special treatment and makes it a big priority, then the boss knows if the guy doesn't get his request at some point he will not be as productive as an employee. An unhappy employee. In this environment of a plentitude of workers for the job, a boss that is smart will begin looking for a replacement before the company is left "holding the bag" if the employee either reduces production or calls in "sick" all those days or just up and leaves. A good boss will anticipate this and reduce the impact on the company. Sad for a person personal life, but it's reality.

Though like you, I personally would have a hard time doing that if the employee was a really good one.

My daughter is a mechanical engineer and she works many 12 hour shifts durning maintenance months, and wears a pager many weekends. She would not have her job if she were to ask for all that personal time to be worked around by her boss. fact. As she has been there longer, she is not putting in as much overtime and gets more personal requests, but not as many as the "strong" JW would request. There is a balance and if the JW does not understand that balance then they will likely lose the job.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

My wife gets time off BECAUSE she is a good employee. Of course her job is different than a construction job where things must be done on schedule. In the construction biz, you kick ass. Certain jobs require an "all in" attitude. You rest and get time off when the job is done, or things slow down. A good boss will let you have time off if there is no reason to deny it.

Also, a good emoyee makes sacrifices for the team, knowing that this will ensure that they receive a favor now and then. There is nothing wrong with a give and take relationship. When an employee starts demanding special treatment, that's a problem. Even the best employee is not irreplaceable. More bosses should fire JWs for following the GBs advice. Perhaps it would start a chain reaction of angry JWs. They may awaken when JEEHOOBER does not provide.

DD

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

The whole video is unrealistic BS. I'd fire the guy for crying. Man up and do the job you signed on to do!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Is (this part of) the video on YouTube or jw.org?

• DesirousOfChange
  • b00mslang
    b00mslang

What sort of an engineer is this dude anyway? He seems to be outside the production line (if there is one) and he's hanging in Shipping and Receiving or some nonsense.

I'm an engineer and I can't even begin to figure out what he's actually supposed to be doing. Although, we need to keep in mind the differences between an actual Engineer and the use of the term in a job title. For instance, the IT industry uses it for position titles that have absolutely nothing to do with engineering.

I think the actual Engineers, on this forum, would agree that his particular engineering field could best be described as; "indeterminate".

Additionally, his family study sessions seem totally contrived, strident, and psychotic. The obvious intent was to portray his efforts in a positive light. However, it came off pretty creepy. Sort of like Terry O'Quinn in the original movie The Stepfather. Inordinately bizarre and artificial.

This flick was about his wallowing in guilt and projecting it onto the rest of his family. The scripted frustration had the appearance of someone that was on the verge of "going postal" and ending it in a murder/suicide. The GB wants to convey to us the spiritual advantages to gleaned from dumping your job, house, etc. and living a life of abject poverty. The psychological message is, in part, clear: poverty = spirituality.

I'm baffled as to how the little black dude/elder qualifies as his sensei? What is it with Witnesses that equate age with wisdom. Some people don't grow wiser with age, just older. A robust and successful life experience would seem to impart more valuable data than that gathered by some janitorial drone. What possible sage advice could be imparted from some janitor that worked the same routine day-in-and-day-out, never left his town, and went to five meetings a week (not including meeting for Field Service)? How could such a mind-numbing repetition impart/imbue one with vast stores of knowledge/discernment?

It's a load.

I almost forgot, the Mom is pretty hot and she could intern for me anytime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit