blood, doctors, hospitals and children?

by Crazyguy 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have several children and my wife and I before I woke up informed the local emergency hospital where we have taken a couple of the kids that we do not wish any blood. My wife has also informed the local clinic where she takes the kids for small issues and small emergencies the same thing. I know that here in the state's if a child needs blood the hospital will get a court order. I'm wondering if I should go to each one of these places and inform them that I do want blood for my children in an emergency has anyone done this? I'm thinking in a case were blood is needed and there isn't time for them to go get a court order. Anyone with experience in this matter?

• millie210
    millie210

I know you said you are "out" but here is some of the information that Witnesses that are still "in" are using to get around the blood issue.

Its called a Letter Of Understanding

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/12/20/without-fanfare-jehovahs-witnesses-quietly-soften-position-on-blood-transfusions/

another link to the actual letter

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/12/blood-transfusion-letter-of.html

The Society is backstepping away from its former policies on blood very quietly.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I'm wondering if I should go to each one of these places and inform them that I do want blood for my children in an emergency has anyone done this?

Yes, and do it in writing. The hospital can proceed based upon your parental authorization. It places the burden on your wife to get a court order to stop a transfusion.

More on Letters of Understanding: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/244052/2/Blood-transfusion-Letter-of-Understanding#.U-JCwvldVHV

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Some families are really more concerned about other Jehovah’s Witnesses finding out they consented to the blood transfusion,” said Ms. Seller.

I am glad that this is making it easier for hospitals to give transfusions when needed, but it raises some interesting issues.

1) It's obvious the Watchtower would like to back away from the blood policy, but doesn't want to appear to be flip flopping on the issue. Some parents will be happy to be able get around the ban without having it forced on them through the courts, but there will still be some zealots that don't get it and will refuse to allow it unless compelled to by the courts. There is a real possibility that in some cases the court order won't be in time to save some children, needless deaths because the WTBTS has to save face.

2) It also seems obvious that many JWs refuse transfusions, not out of personal conviction, but because of fear of being disfellowshipped or looked down upon by others. How sad that any parent would put the opinions of others before the health and well being of their own child.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

If you have children, are you sure that they agree with and can explain the Bible – based stand on transfusions? Do they truly believe this stand to be God’s will? Are they convinced that to violate God’s law would be so serious that it could put at risk a Christian’s prospect for everlasting life? Wise parents will review these matters with their children, whether they be very young or almost adults. Parents may hold practice sessions in which each youth faces questions that might be posed by a judge or a hospital official. The goal is not to have a youth repeat by rote selected facts or answers. It is more important that they know what they believe, and why. Of course, at a court hearing, the parents or others might present information about the risks of blood and the availability of alternative therapies. But what a judge or an official would likely seek to learn from speaking with our children is whether they maturely understand their situation and options and also whether they have their own values and firm convictions.

- The Watchtower 06/15/1991 p. 18 Emphasis added

How strenuously should a Christian resist a blood transfusion that has been ordered or authorized by a court? God’s law must be obeyed!…if a court – authorized transfusion seemed likely, a Christian might choose to avoid being accessible for such a violation of God’s law….If a Christian did put forth very strenuous efforts to avoid a violation of God’s law on blood, authorities might consider him a law-breaker or make him liable to prosecution. If punishment did result, the Christian could view it as suffering for the sake of righteousness.

- The Watchtower 06/15/1991 p. 31 Emphasis added

Until they retract this kind of advice what else can be expected of obedient Jehovah's Witnesses?

Lee

• millie210
    millie210

Thanks for that link Lee. Wow. I guess I had forgotten...just unbelievable.

While they havent retracted that quote above that Lee provided, they have changed the wording in the elders manual concerning those who take blood.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

You could tell the doctor and your wife, that you like to blood alternative treatments for your children. But if the doctor thinks a blood transfusion would be necessary to keep your children from harm you authorize the doctor to do so.

This might be better than to say "you want blood for your kids." In many situations an alternative treatment is the best solution if your kids health is not endangered.

I will do the same with the doctor of my 2 year old son. My wife and I are separated. She doesn't want to give me the address of my kids doctor (probable because she knows what I will discuss with him). She has to tell me though by law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit