In Remembrance

by Jeannette 8 Replies latest social current

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

file://localhost/Users/mac/Desktop/ceramic-poppies-first-world-war-installation-london-tower-12.jpg

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I don't know how to make it clickable or post as a picture. But this is a dramatic picture, one reason that 1914 can be noted.

• Splash
    Splash

Here's a clickable link

http://yepinol.com/888246-poppies-pour-like-blood-tower-london-remember-fallen-soldiers-wwi/

The Tower itself is almost 1,000 years old and has seen more than its fair share of bloodshed.

Splash

• Oubliette
  • Jeannette
    Jeannette

Thank you, Splash and Oubliette, that is very kind of you both. This 1914 date is sure, (not like the WTS), and it is 100 years ago. A tragic, tragic loss of life and for what? For nothing. Oh, some of the elite got very, very rich. But a tremendous gene pool was lost.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Wow! Awesome pics.

Lest we forget.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Yes, Heaven, lest we forget.

The installation, conceived by Paul Cummins and designer Tom Piper entitled this "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red", and will be unveiled on Aug. 5,2014 exactly 100 years after the British involvement in World War 1. The final 888,246th flower will be planted on Nov. 11, 2014. Later, the ceremic flowers will be sold for 25 pounds each and 10% of the proceeds will be split evenly among 6 different service related charities.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Sheez that is fantastic. I've fortunately been to the Tower of London a couple of times and have enjoyed the tales of that place. The pics are dramatic and epic.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I noticed on the news that yesterday morning in England, Prince William and Kate were there. He, through protocol, "planted" a poppy. By the way, I wonder if they would let us buy one from the Americas, here? Would be nice to have because most of us with European bloodlines, were affected by this wasteful war. I hate to say this, but I'm going to--what blood-thirsty god do they worship-the manufacturers of this terrrible war?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit