My life as a JW

by conflicted 5 Replies latest jw friends

• conflicted
    conflicted

Hello all, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I need to get it out.

I'm new to the board (registered today), and here's my story:

Born into the "truth" so to speak, my parents just started studying after I was born. After the 1975 prophesy failed my father slowly distanced himself from the org. My mother kept on attending meetings, and we moved to California in 1976. I was 5 at the time and this is about where my own memory of my life begins. I started school and, as usual, was an outcast because of my religious constrictions... er convictions. We continued to go to meetings, but started missing a few here and there until aroud 1979 when we stopped altogether. A few years later my parents divorced, my mother remarried and we started going back to meetings in 1983.

Now, up to this point I have been an active witness child for nine years, and inactive for four. During the inactive years we still lived our lives as though we were active - no holidays, no sports, no T.V. or movies, no friends. That was pretty tough since the witnesses at school wouldn't talk me, and I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone else.

When we did start attending meetings again everything seemed okay for a while, my step-father didn't know much about JW's and we had been out for years, so it was kind of like starting fresh. But after my step-father learned the rules he quickly dropped out and used the organization against us. He learned that my mother could only divorce him if he committed adultery - so pretty much everything else was okay, and he did it all.

First he started drinking heavily, then he started using drugs, and then selling drugs out of our house to support his habit. The elders said we weren't strong enough in the truth and that Jehovah was testing our faith. Then he started hitting us - four kids (including myself) and my mother. Again the elders told us it was our fault and re-emphisized that my mom couldn't divorce him. We eventually had to move out of our house and live with the PO for a while. Then step-daddy shows up at the PO's house one day and grovels "I know how wrong I was - I repent - send my family home." So off we go, but step-dad didn't miss us, it's just that his knuckles hurt from hitting walls and he wanted softer targets back home. Again the elders tell us that it's up to Jehovah when our test should end.

So, we ended it ourselves. We stopped going to meetings, threw him out, my mom got her divorce and restraining order and we got on with our lives.

Subsequently we got a sheparding call from the PO who had the gall to repremand my mother for her actions. That was the last time we spoke to a JW.

Sorry for rambling, but I had to tell my story to listening ears.

Thanks for your time.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Welcome Conflicted!

Wow sounds like you had one heck of a childhood I think that you will find that this is a great place to chat and meet people who have had similar experiences with JWs. Glad that you are here!

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• alias
    alias

Dear Conflicted,
    I hope you felt some relief after posting your story. This is a good place to "get it out". Many of us come from similiar backgrounds in the org and can empathize with what you've been through.

Welcome to the board, I look forward to getting to know you better.

Alia

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Conflicted,

I hope you stay close to your mother - it took a hell of a lot of gumption, gall, backbone, motherly instinct, straight-up strength to do what she did. No little feat. She deserves much respect.

My mother, on the other hand, covered for my dad while he raped & beat us kids and her. She maintained the family cover and reinforced it. When she took my 7 yr old brother to the doctor (for required physical to start school) covered with bruises from his lower stomach down, through his crotch - the doctor was shocked (before the time it had to be reported). My mother told him that my father had said the kid fell off his bike. "Did you see this happen?" Nooooooooo" my mother's famous response.

Our pets never lasted over a couple of years. For some reason, they used to all "run away." Disappear, in other words. We knew he beat them, I knew he had sex with them. I just never could remember what happened to them *after*. When one of her brothers asked where the hell all our animals went - her famous reply "It's our house. Mind your own business."

I'm not sidestepping the issue of the stupidity of the Boy's Club called the elders - they were flat dead wrong. But your mother is the true hero according to your account. Congratulations.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 20 February 2001 21:59:0

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

Hey conflicted,

My heart goes out to you and your family, what a horrible time...
    Sadly it's by no means isolated. The elders consistently throw these poor vulnerable ladies and kids back to brutes!!
    I myself was raped by my witness husband and when I left I was offered marriage guidance counselling from the family life book as i must have done something wrong to provoke him???
    Because I refused I was disfellowshipped and he continues to this day as a MS ??

glad you all escaped
    take care

• conflicted
    conflicted

Thanks to all for their kind toughts. I've pretty much gotten over that part of my life now, and my family is doing well. I just kept the experience pent up inside and had to let it out. WHEW!!

I'm a pretty well adjusted adult now - with a few lingering "demons" to get rid of, but all in all I'm okay.

I'll continue to post here, both for the support I receive as well as for any I can give to others.

As time goes on you'll all see that I (according to me) have a pretty vivid sense of humor laced with sarcasm - it's just my way. I'll try not to make waves though.

conflicted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit