List of false cause/effect relationships the WTS has asserted

by OneEyedJoe 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The recent thread on the expirimental physicist, where they strongly imply that evolution is taught only as a part of some grand atheist agenda, got me thinking. Once you really step back and look at it, there are a lot of cause/effect relationships that are presented by the WTS that are completely false, or at least very misleading. Here are the ones I've come up with so far:

Atheism caused the theory of evolution to gain prominence.

"The corruption of christendom is the leading cause of atheism" (heard at the recent convention at least twice)

Greed/Pride/Self-importance causes people to seek higher education (I know many people who've gone to college, and it is readily apparent that this is not the case for a single one of them)

Masturbation causes homosexuality (I guess this is slightly more plausible than "you'll go blind" but really?)

Stroking your child's genitals to calm them causes them to masturbate later in life (neither part of this one makes any sense)

Leaving the WTS will cause you to become a drug addict.

Leaving the WTS will cause you to become promiscuous and get STDs.

Leaving the WTS will cause you to be permanently unhappy.

Watching "spritistic" movies/TV shows will cause your home to become haunted/possessed by demons.

Possessing any object related to anything occult will cause your home to become haunted/possessed by demons

Blood transfusions or organ transplants will cause you to exhibit the personality traits of the donor.

Spending time in the ministry will cause you to be happy

And the biggest lie of all: Baptism into the WTS will cause you to be happy.

Please add to the list. It's funny how absurd it all is once you look at it objectively and in black and white.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Atheism caused the theory of evolution to gain prominence.

No, it's the other way around and with a piece missing:

• Evidence supports the theory of evolution which in turn caused atheism to gain prominence.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Most of the items on your list are examples of cult indoctrinated phobias. Cults rule through fear.

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

Did they say stroking your child's genitals to calm them will lead to masturbation? I am pretty sure they should have said, "lead to jail."

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

BBB:

The full quote:

Watchtower 1973 Sep 15 p.568
    "If one understands the cause, it is easier to implement the prevention and cure of a bad habit. Did you know, for example, that mothers and fathers who stroke the genitals of their fretful babies to keep them quiet are unwittingly encouraging them to become masturbators later on?"

Lots of other gems in this JWfacts page too:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/masturbation.php

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

"mothers and fathers who stroke the genitals of their fretful babies" are pedophiles.

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

Ok I was watching national geographic a looooong time ago and there was a remote tribe that did believe that stroking the babies genitals made them sleep.

I am still disturb 10 years later....

Does the GB feel like this is the way of saying "hey pagan tribes of small islands stop doing that and become a JW!

I am sure if you peel the veil on that tribe there is serious incest and sexual abuse happening.

So if they handed that absurd magazine to that tribe of pagans does the GB feel believe they would stop?

even worse.....are there people in civilized society who think this is ok? Yes they are called pedophiles and are grooming babies.

Yuck

• Giordano
    Giordano

As found in the ‘List’ http://hourglass2.com/historical/the-list/List7_01.htm The science of the Watchtower .

“Color and Physiognomy..........A blue nose..... is a symbol of austerity, with perhaps a prudish tinge.....The size of the nose, as also the size of the eyes, is not without significance. The small-nosed man cannot have a judicial mind, whatever his other excellencies may be. And a man whose nose upturns can no more be expected to administer justice than a pug dog can be expected to act as a shepherd.” Golden Age Jan 19 1921 pg. 224

“Vaccination never prevented anything and never will and is the most barbarous practice......We are in the last days; and the devil is slowly losing his hold.........Use your rights as American citizens to forever abolish the devilish practice of vaccination (which) has never prevented smallpox any more then serum injection has prevented typhoid.........” Golden-Age Oct 12 1921

“It has never been proven that a single disease is due to germs.” Golden-Age Jan 16 1924 (This was a dozen years after medicine had proven bacteria and viruses caused most diseases)

(Speaking about the resurrection after 1925 when there would be the start of the new world and no death....... the writer suggests the following in TWTP pg 228 on how to recruit decorators to redecorate the homes that would now be available.) “You will have secured the services of the best decorators you can find. Some of them used to be undertakers; but since there are no more people dying, they have to seek some new occupation. Their experience as undertakers prepared them to become decorators with very little difficulty.”

“Pastor Russell....discussed the mysteries of.......mental telepathy, mind reading and women’s intuition.” Golden-Age Feb 15 1925 pg 332-3

(After maintaining that there would be ‘no slip ups’ about the importance of 1925 the Society tells those who were greatly disappointed that ) “Some anticipated that the work would end in 1925..................The difficulty was that the friends inflated their imagination beyond reason......” WT Aug 1 1926 pg 232

‘The Flood may have been caused by all of the other planets being on one side of the earth simultaneously. God may have inserted the “youngest” planet Neptune on the other side to act as a gravitational corrective to make sure it cannot happen again!’ Golden-Age Jun 16 1926 pg 583

“Human footprints seven feet long found in California.” Golden-Age Jane 13 1926

“Disease (is caused by) fermentation and heat.........not germs. GA Aug 25 1926

“Air baths are good for preventing colds. What you do is strip naked mornings and evenings and then bob up and down for a while.” Golden-Age Feb 1926 pg 310

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OneEyedJoe - "Here are the ones I've come up with so far..."

Wow.

The number of objectively wrong statements made by the WTS sure is long when you put them all in one list.

And those are just the relatively recent ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit