Balancing the Mix of Healthy Spiritual Teachings and Questionable Doctrines as JW

by ProfCNJ 9 Replies latest social current

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

If you are a current or active JW, you cannot help but feel you are in a bind. While you have discovered the truth about the truth and has continuously researched on it, you cannot help also but to regard the fellowship inside, add perhaps those encouraging teachings which build up faith and spirituality.

The reality is you cannot just turn a blind eye on the goodness in the organization too or shall we say some of its members who are also standing by you. Somehow, you felt the FDS food is helping you in a spiritual sense. On the other hand, you cannot also ignore such erratic doctrines on 1914, Last Days, 144K, new light, Generation flip-flop, etc. Here is where cognitive dissonance surfaces.

What a situation to be in. Not easy. Roller-coster ride. One day you are full-blooded JW, next day and you saw questionable activities in the organization, you become half-hearted. Very Challenging.

For the brothers who are still in yet confused, how are you coping up and dealing with our situation? And for those who decided to get out already, did you feel at some point you should have not left?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS condemns all other religions, ridiculing them for their "wrong" beliefs. Let them receive the same harsh judgment.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Hello blondie, one can still be a JW. But I am trying to reprogram myself now not to jump the gun on other religions, specifically Chrisitian churches. It is not for the organization to judge for that is reserved for Christ alone. This is painful to learn first. But slowly, when you apply biblical principles on love (1 John 4:12) you begin to treat others differently, free from premature judgment. You make conversations more meaningful with others.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

On waking up.. don't forget to apply this Bible principal too.

2 Corinthians 6:17

Therefore, "Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I never felt i should join in the preaching work again and so therefore i wasn't a witness.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

The good that they do?

Please tell me about this 'good' as I'm struggling to find any. Jesus gave the command to feed and clothe and take care of the poor. I have never seen a witness feed or clothe any poor person that was not in their own congregation and maybe related by blood.

They have taken the phrase 'especially to those related to you in the faith' and replaced it with 'only those in your click in your own narrow and very specific faith that attends your own meeting hall and is considered by the local BOE to be in 'good standing''.

The WT organisation with it's billions has never once opened a shelter for the homeless and destitute, no food banks for the hungry, not a thing for single struggling mothers or abused women and orphans, no free medical centres for the sick, diseased and dying. No academies, colleges or institutes to educate people. Things practically every major and minor religion on earth has done in some form or other.

But never the Orgites..

They have never given a single cent to any charity ever anywhere. You will not even get a free sandwich at any 3 day assembly.

Nothing.. Zero.. zilch.. nada.

They have taken some of the most important words of Christ and nullified them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Which teachings, praytell, that can't be found elsewhere? I take exception even to the idea that breaking the law "Makes Jehovah Sad". How much more powerful to judge our own actions on whether they add to the lives around us, and avoid harm? I am sorry, the whole WT program stops ethical thinking.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, honestly they've never done me any good. For as far back as I can remember, I had questions and doubts about the cult, but they were always explained away and passed over by my parents, without actually doing anything to satisfy me. meanwhile I'm being told that everyone that's not a witness is evil. That's a lot to bear for a 10yr old. You feel like something's wrong but the only choice presented to you is to put up a charade or to be thrown to the evil people in satan's system. Fast forward a few years and it turns out that I was stupendously lucky to have been born at just the right time to start college before the WT cracked down on the evils of higher education again. That's the best thing the WTS ever did for me - fail to convince my parents that I shouldn't go to college. All the while I'm being indoctrinated with phobias of the outside world, evil spirits, being eaten by birds after armageddon, and told that mindless obedience is the highest of virtues. What help did the "FDS" provide me in a "spiritual sense?" I always heard from the platform "don't we feel refreshed when we leave our meetings" and it made me feel guilty like there was something wrong with me that every meeting just left me feeling exhausted and every missed meeting was so refreshing.

And once I realized that there was no point in letting other people tell me how I should feel about myself, once I realized that all that really mattered was to be true to my conscience, that left me sitting through every meeting miserable wishing I were anywhere but there, listening to logical fallacies and emotional manipulation. I recognized that it was mostly one-sided indoctrination, but I still had the fear of armageddon so deeply implanted that I couldn't fully break free for years.

Now, I've more or less freed my mind from their control, and what 'good' has come from my involvment in the JW religion? Now I find myself married to a cult member who I deeply love, and forced, once again, to put up a chrade or face loss of family and peace. So tell me what "healthy spiritual teachings" did I miss in my experience? What good was there for me to take away from this? I find your premise completely flawed. The organization enslaves people and convinces them that it's helped them. There's nothing that the WTS has ever done for anyone that they wouldn't get from any church, but most churches do far more good for their community than the WTS does. Basically the only good that the WTS does is help fix peoples homes after disasters so that they can scam insurance companies. Most of the houses would get fixed regardless, so I'm not sure how much help that is.

As for coping, it's one day at a time. Maybe I kept this from my time as a JW, but I just have to keep looking forward to the "new world." One where my wife is awake and we're out of the cult. Focusing on that goal is the only thing that's kept me 'in' for the time being.

• minimus
    minimus

The organization is poisonous. Like Satan can be angel of light , so JWs can say certain truthful things but inside their soul, they are full of dead mens bones.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Come to think of it even disfellowshipped people are 'related to you in the faith'. So you must love them too, if not more so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit