Fading Or Disassociating Keeping Family By Playing A Game

by WinAgainstThem 5 Replies latest jw friends

• WinAgainstThem
    WinAgainstThem

I have a cousin who claims to have disassociated from the faith over 10 years ago. Recently he told me that our family has never learned about this. Honestly I dont see how he has continued to keep this up. Said that he thought about fading, but decided against this. Im just wondering is there anyone on the board who has tried this. He basically lives in another state, and comes to visit from time to time. After expressing that I no longer believe in the faith, he share this tibit with me.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

My guess is that he's lying.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It always pains me to hear of grown adults that feel they have keep pretending for the sake of so-called loved ones.

JWs expect everyone to tip-toe around them and their beliefs and the people that accomodate that selfish requirement,

are just enabling them.

Sure, respect someones right to choose but you shouldn't have to play along just so family will still love you.

You have rights too!

If someone in the family decided to become a neo-nazi would we still feel the same need to support their decision?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Quite possible if he lived in another state very far away and his family had no contact whatsoever with any JW's from that state, so word never reached them.

I congratulate him. He gave formal big finger to that sick little religion while also managing to maintain some normal family relationships for 10 years. He's an inspiration. Go west young man!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Sparrow is right exjw's need to be more active and speak up more, instead most try to hide in plain-sight. If we said more and did more then we could tear down their superior attitudes....

• Mum
    Mum

A very long time ago, there was a family in our congregation whose sister/daughter lived in another state. It was in the days when we were doing those tract distribution campaigns, for those who remember, in the '70's. A special day was set aside for distributing tracts for all Jdubs everywhere. After one day, it was back to business as usual.

A member of the family told me that the out-of-state family member told her mom that her congregation had already got their tracts distributed. Caught in a lie! There are reasons why cults change their terminology and their ways of doing things. One of them is that it makes pretenders trip up from time to time.

If this guy has been masquerading for 10 years, he has somehow been keeping up on what they're doing in his absence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit