college

by Princess Ashe 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Princess Ashe
    Princess Ashe

I just started taking a few college classes. And I'm finding it hard to figure out topics to argue about. Thinking for myself and forming my own opionions about certain subjects. I sure was living in such a sheltered world growing up, hearing about all the thoughts of the teacher and other students.

• Mum
    Mum

I suggest extensive reading and watching YouTube videos with differing opinions and perspectives so you can figure out what makes sense to you. I had a philosophy class in college in which the professor was the facilitator, and we had some heated discussions. What fun! I loved college! When you learn what your priorities are and what you want to do and start living your life for yourself, you will be truly alive!

When you write college papers, you need to take a stand and make good arguments for your stand. Good luck with your studies!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I basically just researched facts during college. The private school kids could hold their own! I did not know what to do. My term papers had to be longer b/c I wasn't analyzing the material. I was a reporter. My grades were good. I did so much want to be truly intellectual. It was until my final semester that I analyzed material. The same paper was used for political theory and religion. I knew I had joined the club. Witnesses are the opposite of critical thinking.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Never stop asking questions, in your head be like a little kid that always asks 'Why?'

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I can totally relate,

I didn't participate a lot in classes because I really couldn't form an opinion....it wasn't until my senior year that I could tell my faculty advisor about my background and reasons for why I struggled so much...she was gracious and understanding, but I still cannot articulate an intelligent thesis statement...

there are exercises you can do (google critical thinking questions for analyzing an article)....I've used these questions to try to draw out the main points of what I am reading, and get me to think about their validity...but I feel I will always struggle with this-

BUT, this hasn't stopped me from continuing my education-

Keep going, see where this takes you!!!!

CHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit