God's dates, not ours

by donny 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donny
    donny

As a former Jehovah's Witness, I now sit back and marvel how well I had been suckered into this religion. And to think that their own worst critic was their own publications.

In 1968 some 43 years had lapsed since their last firm prediction on when Armageddon would occur. They had predicted 1925 would see an end to the worlds suffering and a new world for the true believers, i.e. followers of Judge Rutherford, the Watchtower Society's second president.

Just a few years earlier Rutherford was on his nationwide circuit giving his stirring talk "Millions Now Living Will Never Die." Unlike today where most non-JW's could not name anyone on the current Governing Body or who the president of the Society is, Joseph "Judge" Rutherford was fairly well known in Christian circles of the day.

Rutherford was so adamant that 1925 would usher in the New Order he had this to say in reply to those who questioned it.

"Our thought is, that 1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures. As to Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith then Noah had upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge." Watch Tower 1923 Apr 1 p.106.

That is a pretty bold statement. He says his word is more sound than God supposedly talking directly to Noah.

The following year he said that 1925 even eclipsed the pivotal 1914.

"The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914;…" Watchtower 1924 Jul 15 p.211

It was not a matter of opinion...oh no!. It was definitely and clearly marked in Scriptures. It was a fact and no truly consecrated child of God would question it.

A few years after 1925 passed, it became less and less "clearly marked" until it was not even highlighted. Eventually they would try to apply some "White-Out" to that definite date.

43 years go by and the growth in the organization has been limp at best in the ten years leading up to 1967. They need something to charge up the faithful and there is no better way to do that than to give a new date for "that day." And that date would be 1975.

Now the fact that there have been "those" others who have predicted dates and nothing came of them. Let's see what they had to say about "those" types.

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end to the world," even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The "end" did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them." Awake! 1968 Oct 8 p.23

So by their own words they were condemning their prior declarations and stating that Jehovah was not using them, but JW's of the day saw "those" as other folks, now-JW's, who were proclaiming those despicable statements.

What was notable about this period is that the Society was much more loose in what was going to occur in 1975 in speech than what they had to say in print.

Charles Sunutko, a District Overseer in the Sheboygan, Wisconisin area had this to say in the talk "Serving with Everlasting Life in View" that was delivered at the 1967 District Convention.

"Well now, as Jehovah's Witnesses, as runners, even though some of us have become a little weary, it almost seems as though Jehovah has provided meat in due season. Because he's held up before all of us, a new goal. A new year. Something to reach out for and it just seems it has given all of us so much more energy and power in this final burst of speed to the finish line. And that's the year 1975. Well, we don't have to guess what the year 1975 means if we read the Watchtower. And don't wait 'till 1975. The door is going to be shut before then. As one brother put it, "Stay alive to Seventy-Five""

To hear this talk check out the wonderful site "JWFacts.com" which contains much more about JW's and their many false prophecies.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

They also had this to say this about that pivotal year.

"Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man's existence on earth is completed. Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out, and there are no resurrection hopes for those that are destroyed then." Kingdom Ministry 1968 Mar p.4

Of course 1975 came and went and nothing happened. Nada, Zilch, Zero.

So what do you do? Well you do the most logical thing, blame the rank and file Witnesses.

The 07/15/76 Watchtower, page 441, had this to say about those who looked to 1975 as a special year.

"But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the “day” comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises."

This elicited even more anger from the rank and file because they knew that they had not dreamed this up on their own, this had come from those appointed to hand out "meat in due season."

Finally in 1980 they admitted that the ones running the organization were culpable in feeding the frenzy about 1975.

"With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting-in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man's existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. ... Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility ." Watchtower 1980 Mar 15 p.17

Most of today's JW's are either unaware of this example of their "Faithful and Discreet Slave" disseminating this outright false prophecy or they hind behind statement like the following;

"Jehovah's Witnesses, in their eagerness for Jesus' second coming, have suggested dates that turned out to be incorrect. Because of this, some have called them false prophets. Never in these instances, however, did they presume to originate predictions 'in the name of Jehovah.' Never did they say, 'These are the words of Jehovah.'" Awake! 1993 Mar 22 p.4

This same organization earlier had this to say about the dates put forth in their publications.

"We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we could. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours." Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

Well I guess we can surmise from these statements that Jehovah is like an old man who recalls old times but mixes up the time period and when called on it simple declares "You know me, I am terrible with dates."

For those looking for a great podcast that talks about JW's, Mormons or just any old religion, check out DogmaDebate.com with David Smalley.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Very nice!! Have your read the article that's called[ I think] " A Prophet was among them"?? I belive it says the organization is a "prophet." That line about never saying " Jehovah said it..", is pure BS. The part where the discourage neglecting "everyday things" is laughable. Didn't they just say that selling your home and possessions was the best course of action in the remaining few months before the big A?!?! I would add that part in your article, it would be a nice contrast.

DD

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Saving this, thanks!

• UBM101
    UBM101

Marked

• Quendi
    Quendi

I remember the frenzy in the organization concerning 1975. It was already a topic of great interest when I made my first contact with Jehovah's Witnesses as a boy back in 1968. By the time I began studying in earnest in 1974, enthusiasm was at a fever pitch. Many of the Witnesses I knew kept their heads during 1975 and when the year went out with a whimper and not a bang, they swallowed their disappointment and soldiered on. I think it is interesting that most Witnesses today are completely ignorant of what it was like for Jehovah's Witnesses and the hopes they had forty years ago. Certainly the WTS has kept a lid on it, not even mentioning it through their many organs nowadays.

Quendi

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Nice surmising sir!

In such brief overview it makes it seem even more obvious they needed a ray Franz shaped patsy..

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Marked.

Great quotes!

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Yawn, yawn zzzzzzzzzz..................................

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

An excellent summary with great logic...

• donny
    donny

I love the quote where they said they " have suggested dates that turned out to be incorrect."

What a load of humus! In the 8/15/68 Watchtower they were sending a statement to those who were quoting Jesus' words that no one knew the day or the hour.

One thing is absolutely certain, Bible chronology reinforced with fulfilled Bible prophecy shows that six thousand years of man's existence will soon be up, yes, within this generation! (Matt. 24:34) This is, therefore, no time to be indifferent and complacent. This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that "concerning that day and hour nobody knows , neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when one should be keenly aware that the end of this system of things is rapidly coming to its violent end. Make no mistake, it is sufficient that the Father himself knows both the "day and hour"!

And in the same magazine they tried to make the case that their timing may be off, but only slightly.

"Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah’s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years. " Watchtower 1968 Aug 15 p.499

So even if October 1975 passed and nothing happened, surely it would occur sometime in 1976. But by the summer of 76, they began releasing statements that the rand and file misread what the Society had been saying and took the year 1975 and ran away with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit