1914 real generation vs Watchtower "this generation".

by tenene 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tenene
    tenene

I know it has been discussed a number of times on this forum, but this issue is so complicated and almost impossible to understand. What is a generation in real terms? Watchtower spin doctors managed to buy this organization another 100 years of existence/business just by playing around with this word.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Which generation was Christ referring to in Matthew 24:34?

The Greek word “genea” (pronouncedghen-eh-ah') appears thirteen times in Matthew's gospel. Four times it is used to delineate “one set of parents to the next”. Ignoring Matthew 24:34 for the moment, in every other appearance, including 6 of the instances Matthew places the definite article “this” (houtos) before “generation”,“this generation” ( houtos genea), in context, clearly cover the same group of people -i.e. “Christ's contemporaries”

Mt 11:16 But to what shall I compare this generation ? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)
    Mt 12:41 The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)
    Mt 12:42 "The Queen of the South will rise up with t his generation at the judgment and will condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.(the persons then living contemporary with Christ).
    Mt 12:45 "Then it goes and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself.... That is the way it will also be with this evil generation ." (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)
    Mt 17:17 And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted generation , how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? ..."(the persons then living contemporary with Christ)
    Mt 23:36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation .
    Reading Mt.23:36 in context again shows " the persons then living contemporary with Christ are being referred to:
    29. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye build the sepulchres of the prophets, and garnish the tombs of the righteous, 30 and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we should not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye witness to yourselves, that ye are sons of them that slew the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. :33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of Gehenna? 34 Therefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: some of them shall ye kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city: 35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar. 3 6 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. ( the persons then living contemporary with Christ)
    Mt 24:3 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
    What generation was Jesus referring to Matthew 24:34?
  • givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

The Generation Messiah was talking about was the very generation he lived in. The Prphecies he gave to those standing in front of him were about what was going to happen in their lifetime and it did. Jerusalem, the tmeple and the old testament were all destroyed in that generation or time period. SO the question is do we beleive what the Messiah said when he told those who asked the question " truly i tell you, some of you standing here will not die when i return in my kingdom". For me i beleive Messiah over man and religion and beleive he did what he said he would do and came back for them ( the first centruy beleivers) (the second coming). The delusion of mankind since then is that it is always coming in the future

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Make your JW bash every form of dishonesty that they are likely to need to use to weasel their way out of confronting your question, then ask it and use their own high standards to keep them honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit