Writing YA book about JWs...

by UFCFan 5 Replies latest jw friends

• UFCFan
    UFCFan

So I'm a amateur writer, though I lost my muse for the last story I was working on. But I had a good idea for a new young adult book that won't just be fun to read, it will help people learn TTATT. It would be about six or eight teenagers with JW parents, but they all lead double lives at school and away from the congregation.

I don't have many plot ideas yet though, so I'm trying to find someone to co write this with. Mainly one person could do the storyline and I could do the writing, or we could come up with the story together.

Post here or PM me if interested.

• UFCFan
    UFCFan

I started writing this under the working title of Our Secret Lives. Here's the prologue.

Logan Westenkamp used to just be a ordinary teenager. He was fifteen, nearly sixteen, lived in Long Beach, California, and used to never get in trouble. Emphasis on used to, but more on that later. But as he grew older and started thinking for himself more, not accepting everything he was told, he wanted more freedom. And that's when the problems started.

Abigail "Abi" Brand had a common bond with Logan. They were both German-American, and both had parents who were Jehovah's Witnesses. And they both hated that. Abi's German accent was strong, like Logan's, and it made the two stand out in school, and sometimes it made the cool kids pick on them. But what really got the two teens bullied was the religion. Both Abi and Logan didn't want to be part of the Witnesses. But you couldn't leave the religion until you were eighteen, and both would be stuck for a bit longer until they were old enough. Why didn't they like it? Well, that will be explained later.

Tara Hill was the opposite of Abi. She was popular in school, one of the 'cool girls'. All the boys wanted to date her. And most of the girls envied her good looks and rich family. But what they didn't know was that she was a Witness too, albeit secretly. And she wanted out just as much as Abi and Logan did. Tara, like Logan, just wanted freedom; Freedom to date, freedom to wear what she wanted, and most of all, freedom to choose her own religion.

Demetrius "DJ" Jones wants to fight in the UFC one day. He practices in secret, hoping to one day join his favorite fighter, TJ Dillashaw, in the Bantamweight division. But with his parents causing problems for him, he may have to give up his martial arts for good.

Jeremy Zeller, the school's best athlete, is in the same position as DJ. Jeremy grew up loving hockey and hoped to one day play in the NHL, but after being forced off the hockey team by his Witness parents, he learns the hard way that life isn't always fair. With a junior hockey contract on the line for the young star, it's either convince his parents to play or do it in secret.

Finally, there was the quiet girl. Amity Morgan, the one no one knew anything about. The girl who didn't have friends, partly due to Tara and the other popular girls.

But when things get tough with their parents, all of these teens band together, living a secret life where they have the one thing they want: freedom.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Maybe see if you and Terry can get together on something like that. He specializes in different genres, but he certainly has a good flair for writing biographical as well as fictional and semi-fictional accounts, of course with a clever connection to TTATT.

• UFCFan
    UFCFan

Yeah I'll try to PM him and see if he has any tips. Does the story sound good so far?

• SAHS
    SAHS

Actually, “UFCFan,” there are plenty of actual, real-life stories of JW teenagers who have been forced to live a double life for quite some time. Now, if fiction is your thing, then by all means proceed along that route. I’m just saying that should you want to go from fiction to fact, there are numerous real-life experiences of such teen folk who have known all too well the ignominious situation of having to sit on that uncomfortable fence for family’s sake while indulging in as normal a life as they can get away with. I myself would tailor my book to more of what Terry Walstrom has done in his book, “I Wept By the Rivers of Babylon.” Take my advice: there’s nothing more compelling than actual personal accounts to captivate human interest.

• UFCFan
    UFCFan

I thought about nonfiction but I tried that before and I'm pretty bad at it, while I think I'm at least OK at fiction.

By the way another chapter might be done by Sunday, it's a busy week for me since I have my convention starting tomorrow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit