Two well dressed young men came knocking

by Hairtrigger 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Hello everyone. Here's my experience in the last 15 minutes

It's about 6 p.m and I'm home alone watching TV when someone knocks loudly on the door. I open and there, like an apparation, stand two of J Smith's disciples -Smart looking , well dressed ( they used to wear black ties only a few years ago) clean cut.

I inform them that I'm an ex-J Witness and they are quiet for a moment. Then their faces light up and they ask if I know anything about them. I tell them I had read the book of Mormon about 7 years ago and the history of their topdog JS too. And I that had thrown the BOM into the trash. They asked why. " Because all four religions, Judaism; Christianity; Islam and Mormonism come from the same source. And the source is flawed.

"Do you ever pray sir?"

" Yes- that JW's and Mormons and other religious sects never come knocking at my door - but so far my prayers haven't been answered".

They chuckle a bit

" Seriously no. I don't believe in religion ."

" Do you believe that Jesus died for us and was resurrected after 3 days?"

" Is there any scientific proof of his being resurrected?"

Silence for a bit

" And if he died for man then everything was fulfilled in him? Doesn't the bible say that? Why the need for Mohammed 600 years later and JS 1800 years after? At least Mohammed claims lineage to Abhraham through Abe's son Ismael from his slave Hagar. Does JS have any family claim to the patriarch ?" And why would the only prophet...some call him god....die ,be resurrected and say everything was fulfilled in him ,only to have god send JS later? Why didn't he say what JS would say 1800 years earlier.And he doesn't mention any prophet appearing on earth after him. You would think it would have crossed his mind to mention future prophets like JS and Mohammed? None of the books in the greek scriptures mention JS or Mohammed anyone like them . Have you guys really read up on JS ?

Yes we have done a lot of reading on him"

" Outside of your church's writings? Any secular readings on him I mean?"

Silence for a moment .

" Actually JS does say that christ is the son of god blah, blah blah.."

" My Q was why didn't J say what JS would later?"

They look at each other briefly and get off the topic.

" How long were you a JW?"

"Oficially ... unofficially ..."

" and before that..."

" What's this an inqusition?"

They laugh a bit.

" I have a question for you"

"Please go ahead"

" Do you know that both, you guys and the JW's are known as cults outside your circles?"

" Yes I know that some people call us a cult."

" Ever wondered why?"

" Because they don't know us I'm sure if they get to know us they will realize we are different."

" Trust me you are different. That's the standard belief of all cults. Have you ever read any books on how to recognize a cult?"

"No"

" Here's my recommendation. There is a book by Steve Hasan on how to recognize a cult or any cult . Please read it ."

"Oh umn ok"

Then they try offering me a little well made card to some meeeting on the 6th of July-I politely decline. They offer me another one giving me their address etc.

I inform them that I will never be interested in what they have to say but " in order to oblige you guys I will take your card for one reason only- to inquire whether you have read Steve Hasan's book".

They say they will try and get the book.

" Go online you will find it"

They shake and then move on to my neighbor's door.

The difference between these guys and the JW's is that they seem less dogmatic in their acceptance of ouside readings and are willing to read what JW's would dub as "apostate" lit.

On the other hand are they?

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

SSDD.

zed

• Mum
    Mum

It's easy for me to understand why a man would be a Mormon (or a Muslim, for that matter), but I cannot fathom why any woman would subject herself to the circumscribed life of these religions.

I have read two books by former Mormon women, one called Secret Ceremonies by Deborah ---- (I forgot her last name) in which she describes her temple wedding, subsequent divorce remarriage, second divorce, stay in a mental hospital, etc. The other one (I have forgotten the title) was written by Sonia Johnson in the 1970's. Sonia Johnson left the church and became a feminist after her ordeal, an ordeal very similar to what JW's go through in the disfellowshipping process. The horror of her story is that some of the men (yes, only men!) interrogating her were government officials and other kinds of powerful narcissists.

Oh, the joys of having no master!

• SnakesInTheTower
  • Mum
    Mum

Thanks, Snakes.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The difference between these guys and the JW's is that they seem less dogmatic in their acceptance of ouside readings and are willing to read what JW's would dub as "apostate" lit.

I doubt that very much

A cult is a cult and they dont want to hear anything said against their cult.

smiddy

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Wait... Mormons are actually preaching DOOR TO DOOR? JWs want us all to believe this isn't the case anymore. Hahahaha!

Actually, we have tons of Mormons preaching in our area, both men and women. Men travel in twos with white shirts and black pants. The women have dresses on. You'd be hard pressed to tell a Mormon woman apart from a JW woman, except the Mormon women go to doors in threes . . . at least they ones I've seen on my street do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit