Need To Upgrade “Captives of a Concept”?

by Cameron_Don 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Cameron_Don
    Cameron_Don

“Captives of a Concept” is based on the Governing Body’s pre-2012 interpretation of the most important Scripture in their theology – Matthew 24:45-47. The book shows that when that interpretation is compared to the organization’s history that relates to it, it becomes evident that the Watchtower Society has never been God’s organization. – See Chapter 3

Their old interpretation was that the Society had been so faithful and discreet about what they had provided in the way of spiritual “food at the proper time” that Jesus appointed Rutherford and his associates over all his BELONGINGS in 1919. Therefore the Society has been God’s organization ever since.

Their new interpretation is that the Society had been so faithful and discreet about what they had provided in the way of spiritual “food at the proper time” that he appointed Rutherford and his associates over his DOMISTICS in 1919. And therefore the Society has been God’s organization ever since.

Notice that it doesn’t make any difference which interpretation is used. In order to qualify for the “belongings” appointment in verse 47 or the “domestics” appointment in verse47 the Society had to have been faithful and discreet about what Russell and Rutherford had provided in the way of spiritual “food at the proper time” down till 1919.

But as “Captives of a Concept” clearly shows, they had not been either faithful or discreet which is why Raymond Franz expressed it this way…

“It would be an insult to Christ Jesus to say that he (appointed) the Society (over his belongings or domestics) on the basis of what it had been teaching as of 1919.”

And so even though “Captives of a Concept” focuses on the pre-2012 interpretation and the “belongings” appointment in verse 47, what it says also applies to the post-2012 interpretation and the “domestics” appointment in verse 45.

And therefore the conclusion of either interpretation remains the same. And that is that the Watchtower Society has never been God’s organization.

Don Cameron

• bennyk
    bennyk

Many Witnesses accept the "New Light" excuse for the Watch Tower Society's patently erroneous teachings of 1919.

But what excuse is there for the Society's blatant rewriting of their history?

I was bothered less by what they were teaching in 1919

than by what they have been claiming they were teaching in 1919.

(I.e. It bothers me when someone feels free to lie to me. Cf. 1 John 2:21.)

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I could care less about Captive of Concept. The old books are enough to make you so angry about food at proper time.

Consider the Wt stated that pyramidology is food from demons and Jesus came to the earthly temple to throw it out in 1919! Why would they celibrate Jesus invisible enthroned in 1914! After all it is part of the pyramid measurement give or take a year. It kind of throws out the last volume of the Study of the Scriptures and every book after that!

Flash forward all the junk you read that is strange is most likely borrowed from these old books. You see a WT declaring a light illuminating and flashing bright. Illuminating always makes me wonder. There is always some off the wall qoutes in a new WT that has not one thing to do with the subject. Borrowed! :-)

Whats fun is trying to figure out when a doctrines begin and how it changed through out time. That is what many here have done so newbies can find it through search.

All books exposing JWs do not hold a candle to one of Rutherfords old books. :-)

Rutherford books just make you laugh until the shock sets in, who really supplied demonic food! Get ready for crazy doctrines, yet you will find them changed a little and re qouted in WT.

Anything typical and anti typical! WT seems to think they are fullfilling old testament scriptures. Why do you think they are going door to door! Fullfilling the Secretary with an inkhorn! Oh give me a break! :-) Marking and more marking. We marked peopla as righteous and the ekders mark people as unrighteous. Lol.

I went through a book called Insight on the history of JWs. There are people mentioned in there you could actually find. Strange religion history.

I am off!

Anyhow, I am taking a break!

One more thought Rutherford during assemblies thought ones doing utterances was so good he said that he was going to use it! Yet they stopped utterance at the assemblies. Utterances, speaking in tongues! Now what were you saying about food at proper time oh yeah it was food from demons!LOL

Your right!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Don Cameron - "Need to upgrade 'Captives of a Concept'?"

Well, there've been a significant amount of changes in the WTS overall since you wrote it, so yeah; maybe a revised and expanded version might be a good idea.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

ditto Vidiot

-TE

• sir82
    sir82

Maybe they changed their doctrine to try to invalidate your book's conclusion?

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, you know how hard it'll be to try and put bricks in front of Jehovah's chariot--you'll have to keep moving them constantly to keep up with all the right-angle- and U-turns. Good luck with that, pal. You'd be better off writing a computer program that automatically updates your book, at this rate...

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit