DO you think humans naturally self destruct

by cassuk11 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cassuk11
    cassuk11

do end time delusions show humans have a tendancy to look for self detruction or is our desire to have hope for a new day

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

No I wouldn’t put it that way myself. I think it is more an aspect of the human (probably evolutionary) need to create higher level meaning in life which aids in survival. The old adage of not living on bread alone in many ways applies to human more than any other creature by dint of our ability to navigate life through language and concepts. So a higher level threat is needed in order to drive humans forward in survival. End of the world or end time scenarios, either real or imagined help us in some ways to have a higher level reason to live. Nationalism also does this as well as religion and so on.

• cassuk11
    cassuk11

thnx

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No.

Evolution kinda precludes that, IMO.

As for the why of End Times beliefs: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/280692/1/The-End-of-The-World-Delusion#.U5shPdT4Cmw

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wonder if we are hard-wired to fear mass extinction events. After all, life on this planet was nearly wiped out six times. I admit to a fascination for the Armageddon movie genre. My thrill, however, is watching the heroes survive.

Mass Extinction

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - "I wonder if we are hard-wired to fear mass extinction events. After all, life on this planet was nearly wiped out six times."

I hadn't though of that; good point (and don't forget the large-scale flooding that followed the last major Ice Age, too; pretty sure we have some racial memories of that, LOL).

Thanks for that timeline/graph, BTW. Funny; I'd always thought there was a mass extinction between the Jurassic and Cretaceous, too.

Now I know better.

jgnat - "I admit to a fascination for the Armageddon movie genre."

Ahhh, a Roland Emmerich/Michael Bay fan, huh?

Looking forward to seeing San Andreas (with Dwayne Johnson) next year?

• Perry
    Perry

All things naturally self destruct over time - 2nd law of thermo dynamics. This why we need connection to the Source - God; because without him, decay is the river and we are just the cork bobbing in the water.

"Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul.... Jesus" - Hebrews 6: 19

Jesus alone is the answer.

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

AMen Perry

I agree. Fusion with Christ is our only hope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit