The WT Society taking child abuse more seriously now?

by adjusted knowledge 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

With the constant reports of child sex abuse in the congregation from members who now will not be silent, I wonder if the WT will continue to change their policy in this matter. They have made some adjustments compared to a decade ago.

I didn't even know about the case below

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jehovahs-witness-elders-were-spiritually-7258297

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was in a Congregation where the most influencial Elder took a unilateral decision and said to the B.O E, once they had learned of a Paedophile within their midst, " I don't know about you Brothers, but I am going to the Police with this".

I admire the man for doing the morally right thing with no hesitation, the others were hesitating and wanting to 'phone the Branch etc, he said his piece and walked out of the meeting, leaving the other Elders looking like what they were , brain-washed cult members.

Men like him are rare inthe JW's.

The WT/JW's will only take this matter seriously when forced to do so, hence we can claerly see that they have no " love amongst yourselves" if they cannot care for the poor victims of abuse unless forced to.

A despicable Organization, led by the inept.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

That's positive news. Thanks Phizzy for your contribution.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The WT takes child abuse more seriously when they get brought to court - and sued. Then the legal department gets real busy.

For victims of child abuse the elders are instructed to be sympathetic toward the victim and direct her parents to WT publications for advice. Before this happens the victim is subjected to very detailed questions about the actual abuse (a judicial inquiry).

Watchtower legal is always called first. The elders will follow their instructions - whether or not to call the police.

The victim's life is damanged forever.

Watchtower protects their $$$ first and their own reputation second. They pay out millions of dollars every year to pay victims off and have them agree to gag orders.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

What an article. THIS guy was a trip. Rubbing his groin on a woman while she was making tea? Sheesh.

The short answer is yes they are handing it MUCH better now.....but these are old cases and they will continue to come up. They will expose the backwards thinking of "keeping it in house".

I recently had a conversation with an elder buddy of mine who I am very open with (childhood friends.....everything off the record), and I asked his the firs thing he would do if someone came to him in the hall and said they had been abused. He gave me the whole, contact the parents, discuss with the accused, weight the information, all after calling the branch of course...blah blah blah.......I said.........WRONG! You call the police! It could not be easier. They will investigate, pull his record, see if there are any allegations on record, and then you can do all that other crap.

It was interesting even though in the end he agreed, that he just had a hard time thinking something OUTSIDE of the organization was the answer in that circumstance.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

The only way they weill ever, EVER be able to take child abuse seriously is NOT by inflating thier acts against the abuser, but rather, admitting they have ZERO training in matters of mental and emotional health and alloweing the child to go through outside therapy and recovery... WITH THE CONGREGATION PAYING FOR IT.

Everyone thinks that seriousness is in accordance with the perpetrator, but it's honeslty about the rebuilding of the child. A perpertrator should be handled one way - jail time and castration. A victim has to be handled uniquly and delicately. When they admit that they do not have the tools to do such (and we all know they do not) THEN I will consider them taking child abuse seriously.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

adjusted knowledge - "Is the WT Society taking child abuse more seriously now?"

Sure; inasmuch as the problem negatively impacts the Org.

Strangely enough, though, "taking it more seriously" seems to be composed of hard-lining their previous policies and effectively drawing a line in the sand.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I agree with BackseatDevil. These men have ZERO training and because of this they further harm victims.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit