Hubble: Timelapse of V838 Monocerotis (2002-2006) [1080p]

by glenster 3 Replies latest social current

• glenster
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Very cool, thank you for sharing. I'll share this with my students.

• Satanus
    Satanus

All that, from 8 pictures over 4 yrs. Don't get me wrong, its very cool. I am just thinking how easy it would have been for hubble to take, say, one per month. That would have given 48 frames to the vid. Perhaps, there is more info on this vid.

S

• glenster
    glenster

This is not a computer simulation. It's an actual time-lapse video taken over
    four years by the Hubble—and scientists don't know its origin yet.
    http://sploid.gizmodo.com/star-explosion-video-is-the-most-awesome-thing-i-have-e-1589138376

First, despite appearances, the cloud itself is not changing in these images!
    It’s actually fairly static, with movement far too small to notice on this time-
    scale. What you’re seeing is actually a pulse of light from the outburst moving
    through the cloud, illuminating it. Light moves very rapidly, but the cloud is
    huge, light years across. That means it takes a long time for light to cross it,
    and over the years we’re just seeing different parts of the dust cloud lit. This
    type of event is common in astronomy, and it’s called a light echo.

Second, although we’re not exactly sure what caused the outburst, the most like-
    ly explanation is that two normal (but massive) stars merged together. An event
    like this is pretty rare, but entirely possible. When that happens they form a
    single, more massive star, which is unstable. It can undergo a huge paroxysm,
    brightening by a factor of thousands, and also expand and redden. This all fits
    what we see here; the dust cloud would’ve been part of the nebula that formed the
    stars, and existed long before they did.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/06/12/v838_mon_video_of_a_stellar_outburst.html

This behavior of ballooning to an immense size, but not losing its outer layers,
    is very unusual and completely unlike an ordinary nova explosion.

The outburst may represent a transitory stage in a star's evolution that is rare-
    ly seen. The star has some similarities to highly unstable aging stars called
    eruptive variables, which suddenly and unpredictably increase in brightness.

V838 Monocerotis is located about 20,000 light-years away from Earth in the di-
    rection of the constellation Monoceros, placing the star at the outer edge of our
    Milky Way galaxy.
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_784.html

Light echo

Rapidly brightening objects like novae and supernovae are known to produce a
    phenomenon known as light echo. The light that travels directly from the object
    arrives first. If there are clouds of interstellar matter around the star, some
    light is reflected from the clouds. Because of the longer path, the reflected
    light arrives later, producing a vision of expanding rings of light around the
    erupted object.

In the case of V838 Monocerotis, the light echo produced was unprecedented and
    is well documented in images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. While the photos
    appear to depict an expanding spherical shell of debris, they are actually formed
    by the illumination of an ever-expanding ellipsoid with the progenitor star at one
    focus and the observer at the other. Hence, despite appearances, the structures in
    these photos are actually concave toward the viewer. In other words, the light is
    reflecting dust that is mostly 'behind' the star, not in 'front' of it.

It is not yet clear if the surrounding nebulosity is associated with the star
    itself. If that is the case, they may have been produced by the star in earlier
    eruptions which would rule out several models that are based on single catastroph-
    ic events. However, there is strong evidence that the V838 Monocerotis system is
    very young and still embedded in the nebula from which it formed.

Interestingly, the eruption initially emitted at shorter wavelengths (i.e. was
    bluer), which can be seen in the light echo: the outer border is bluish in the
    Hubble images.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V838_Monocerotis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit