“And Pilate asked him, ‘Art thou the King of the Jews?’ And he answering said unto him, ‘I can’t remember.’ ” Mark 15:2 (St. Louis version 2014)

by Sol Reform 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

“And Pilate asked him, ‘Art thou the King of the Jews?’ And he answering said unto him, ‘I can’t remember.’ ” Mark 15:2 (St. Louis version 2014)

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/the-platform/editorial-archbishop-carlson-has-some-troubling-memory-lapses/article_2788ba94-5721-5973-855c-7a131b74228e.html

Editorial: Archbishop Carlson has some troubling memory lapses

“And Pilate asked him, ‘Art thou the King of the Jews?’ And he answering said unto him, ‘I can’t remember.’ ”

Of course that’s not what the second verse of the 15th chapter of Mark’s gospel actually says. Jesus, on trial for his life before Pontius Pilate, replies, “Thou sayest it.”

He didn’t deny it, he didn’t admit it, he certainly didn’t go all Watergate on him and say, “At this point in time, I have no present recollection of what may or may not have happened.”

Now contrast that with how St. Louis Archbishop Robert J. Carlson responded in a deposition on May 23.

He was answering — more precisely, not answering — questions posed by attorney Jeff Anderson of St. Paul, Minn., who represents a victim in a priest-abuse case that took place in 1984.

Archbishop Carlson then was an auxiliary bishop in the St. Paul archdiocese. He held the title of chancellor to then-Archbishop John R. Roach. Mr. Anderson asked the archbishop if at the time, he knew it was a crime for an adult to engage in sex with a child.

“I’m not sure whether I knew it was a crime or not,” Archbishop Carlson replied. “I understand today it is a crime.”.....

Slippery language like this normally is employed by lawyered-up mobsters, politicians or Wall Street fraudsters. It is not the sort of thing that you associate with a shepherd of the flock of Christ. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith-and-values/archbishop-robert-j-carlson-claims-he-was-unaware-sexual-abuse/article_4215ecea-3409-53b3-813b-545c81a1b793.html

Archbishop Robert J. Carlson claims to be uncertain if he knew sexual abuse was a crime

1 hour ago • By Lilly Fowler [email protected] 314-340-8221 159 WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10, 2009- Rev. Robert J.

Carlson watches the procession leading into the Cathedral Basilica-St Louis Stephanie S. Cordle � [email protected] Enlarge Photo Related Documents

1984 Archbishop Robert J. Carlson memo St. Louis priest abuse case headed for trial Ambitious legal strategy will try to show that the archdiocese ignored a pattern of abuse.

It will point to the fact that even before the St. … Read more Archbishop Robert J. Carlson claimed to be uncertain that he knew sexual abuse of a child by a priest constituted a crime when he was auxiliary bishop in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, according to a deposition released Monday. During the deposition taken last month, attorney Jeff Anderson asked Carlson whether he knew it was a crime for an adult to engage in sex with a child.

“I'm not sure whether I knew it was a crime or not,” Carlson replied. “I understand today it's a crime.”

Anderson went on to ask Carlson whether he knew in 1984, when he was an auxiliary bishop in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, that it was crime for a priest to engage in sex with a child. “I'm not sure if I did or didn't,” Carlson said. Yet according to documents released Monday by the law firm Jeff Anderson & Associates in St. Paul, Carlson showed clear knowledge that it was a crime when discussing sexual abuse incidents with church officials during his time in Minnesota.

In a 1984 document, for example, Carlson wrote to the archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis at the time — John R. Roach — about one victim of sexual abuse and mentioned that the statute of limitations for filing a claim would not expire for more than two years. He also wrote that the parents of the victim were considering reporting the incident to the police.

Over and over again during the deposition, Carlson claimed to not remember answers to questions posed by attorney Anderson — for a total of 193 times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.andersonadvocates.com/Posts/News-or-Event/1834/Archbishop-Carlson-Deposition-Release.aspx

• zebagain
    zebagain

193 times.

He should spend 193 months in jail then.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Hmmmmm. I wonder if molestation of a child is o.k. then. You know, there is not an ethnic group, a country or a peoples that don't hold the moral standard that some things are worthy of death, molestation of a child being one of them. If that old fart can't remember, then do to him .................

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The local JWs will be all abuzz about this!

Of course, they don't know who Candice Conti is.

Doc

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform
    http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/st-louis-archdiocese-taking-archbishop-s-quotes-out-context

Is St. Louis archdiocese taking the archbishop’s quotes out of context?

Attorney Jeff Anderson asked Carlson four times a variation of the question: "When did you first discern that it was a crime for an adult to engage in sex with a kid?" Four times, Carlson responds with a variation of: "I don't remember."

(Page 108 of transcript)

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

http://kplr11.com/2014/06/11/protesters-march-in-st-louis-over-archbishop-carlsons-testimony/

Protesters march in St. Louis over Archbishop Carlson’s testimony

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

'Then, just to make sure that nobody ever believes him again, the Archbishop started the second quadrille to his little dance. Deacon Greg covered it. Mr Archbishop had the St Louis Archdiocese release another the-dog-ate-my-homework statement.

This time, it was a totally idiotic accusation that inaccurate and misleading reporting “has impugned Archbishop Carlson’s good name and reputation.” This was so daft it made me question if they knew that there was a video of the deposition out there on YouTube.' Read more:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/publiccatholic/2014/06/he-made-his-choice/#ixzz34eLNtD1x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The full deposition, released by the attorney that conducted the deposition, can be viewed below. The exchange that sparked controversy regarding what Archbishop Carlson understood about the law can be found at about 2-hours, 32-minutes and 48 seconds into the video:

http://www.andersonadvocates.com/Posts/News-or-Event/1846/Archbishop-Carlsons-Full-video-Deposition-Testimony--.aspx

• Sol Reform

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit