request suggestions

by tepidpoultry 3 Replies latest jw friends

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

What can I tell my 5yr old grandson as to why I do not attend meetings anymore? My reasons are (among others) the insanity of Armageddon. At the last meeting that I attended the travelling bro compared GehazI's sin (for which his progeny down to great grandchildren were stricken with leprosy) with materialism.. Thanks.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Tepidpoultry, WELCOME! Love your name, I'll tell you why sometime...

When I stopped attending, I told my children that I couldn't reconcile Jesus' teachings with what was being taught at the hall. For a 5 year old, maybe you could tell him the meetings make you sad because you love Jesus and they don't teach about the way he loved everyone and treated them kindly. Someone here on the board will come up with a much better thing to say, I'm sure, but that comparison is True, and in no way makes you apostate in the real sense of the word. They don't teach about the qualities Jesus demonstrated. They teach obedience to themselves.

(((((tp)))))

• Listener
    Listener

Welcome Tepidpoultry.

I am wondering if you can give us a little more background. Is you son or daughter a JW and have you faded or been disfellowshipped? The reason being is that you may need to be careful as to what you should say to your grandson, his parents may get very upset if you say too much to him. Also, is your grandson asking you questions?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would treat it very much like a sex talk. Make sure it is age-appropriate and at a level the child will understand. You can also say, "What do you think?" and then respond to their answer. If the child has any fears, you can deal with those.

"Don't worry, Jehovah is perfectly just and perfectly loving. Jehovah knows my heart and will take care of me."

"If you didn't have to go to one meeting, what would you want to do?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit