John 6:68 vs 2 Timothy 4:3

by OneEyedJoe 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

One thing that's bothered me for a while about the use of John 6:68 (oddly, this has always been the bigger issue than the rampant replacement of 'whom' with 'where') was it's apparent condemnation by 2 Timothy 4:3.

From the JW bible:

John 6:68 - Simon Peter answered him: “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life."

2 Timothy 4:3 - For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.

2 Timothy 4:3 is often used in condemnation of "false religion" citing other organization's acceptance of people who violate the rules of the WT. The common statement being that anyone who prefers a religion other than JW does so because their preacher's just tell them what they want to hear (i.e. being gay is ok, sex before marriage is ok, don't have to preach, etc). But isn't that exactly what the apostles (or at least Peter) were doing? They stuck with jesus, not because of his love for them or others, not because of the miracles he performed or prophesies he fullfilled, not because they had faith that he was god's son, but because he had "Sayings of everlasting life." If backing a minister because he says you will live forever isn't "surrounding [yourself] with teachers to have [your] ears tickled" then I don't know what is.

I've also always found it odd how no one ever applies it to JWs. If you think about it 2 Timothy 4:3 could apply to litterally ANY religion, as they all have nice, beneficial, uplifting aspects to them otherwise they wouldn't exist. I guess that's just evidence that I never truly made the truth my own - I could objectively apply WT teachings to the WT itself.

Just more evidence that the bible can be used to make a case for just about anything you want it to say.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The Bible is not a flat canvas. It is important to determine the context, and by that I mean the religious politics at play with each writer.

Offhand, I do not know which of these was written first, nor do I know which community was responsible for each. Scholars know that no NT writer knew Jesus personally, and that these two writings (John and Timothy) were written fairly late, probably towards the end of the first century. 2 Timothy was written by an adherent of Paul, making statements that he/they felt Paul would/should have said.

Every NT and OT writing was being addressed to its own immediate community. What would be the point of writing to them when they were writing to some 21st century group, especially to nations that they did not know? Certainly by implication one could take their opinions as useful and helpful, but little more.

As you point out, the WTS arbitarily applies "good" things in the Bible to itself and "bad" things to those that they oppose. That's politics at play.

Doug

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Every time I heard that scripture at the KH,I applied it to the folks at the kh. Elders would tickle each others ears all the time. Good sermon! I've been to several churches teaching false garbage and giving the people what they wanted to hear. Frankly it is because the members pay his salary. Some people could care less what the pastor states because they liked him. I went to one church the guy made complete fools out of the congregation and they clapped.

I find nothing wrong with Peters statement about eternal life which Jesus indeed did offer. He did not tickle their ears because Jesus leads to truths.

"They stuck with jesus, not because of his love for them or others, not because of the miracles he performed or prophesies he fullfilled, not because they had faith that he was god's son, but because he had "Sayings of everlasting life." If backing a minister because he says you will live forever isn't "surrounding [yourself] with teachers to have [your] ears tickled" then I don't know what is."

Not too sure you have this understanding right. I believe they stayed with Jesus for ever reason you claimed they did not which all equals to a future hope for mankind. Eternal life! I believe their is a diiference between etertnal life compared to JW everlasting life.

Where could anyone go! No place.Only Jesus can offer us true salvation. Other than God's salvation one has no place to go.

People tickle each others ears all the time but they are just empty speeches. Our egoes seemed to desire being tickled. Jesus never had to tickle anyones ears. Peter and thousands of Christians followers knew Jesus was the truth by everything he acomplished.

Where and who was a good point! Hmmmm! LOL.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There is a lot of contradictions in the bible, look at this game show clip..

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk&feature=player_detailpage

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Crazyguy, that was fun,next!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit