Watchtower- Gnosticism

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Before I post this let me say I'm an atheist (Though I have a respect for Buddism and Quantum Mysticism)

The Wikepedia definition of Gnosticism is: " religions that taught that people should shun the material world created by the demiurge and embrace the spiritual world . [1] Gnostic ideas influenced many ancient religions [2] that teach that gnosis (variously interpreted as knowledge, enlightenment , salvation , emancipation or 'oneness with God') may be reached by practicing philanthropy to the point of personal poverty , sexual abstinence (as far as possible for hearers , completely for initiates ) and diligently searching for wisdom by helping others"

1. Sunning that material world.

Boy do they ever! Check out the Friday afternoon program for the RC this year. Family Bad, Employment Bad, Education Bad etc.

2. A demiurge.

The WT uses Yahweh/Jehovah as a tool. Unlike other religions that seem to have reverance for God the JWs have a fear of him.

3. Embracing the spritual world.

Yep. Meetings, Field Service etc. The average JW can't even define what sprituallity is.

4. Enlightenment salvation!

Here is the biggest point. JWs have a huge 'divine plan' of Genesis-Revelation and if you don't know it you DIE! If you do you 'might' make it. (Zeph. 2:3)

5. Personal poverty and Sexual abstinence.

I don't need to highlight this since we all know it is true for JWs.

6. Searching for wisdom by helping other in the JWs case is to do a marginally legel knocking on doors etc and Teaching them about the 'knowledge that leads to everlasting life'.

The JWs are right in that they are a revisal of early Christianity. Marcionism, Marinism, Sethism etc.

• MightierThanTheSword
    MightierThanTheSword

One important distinction between the 2 is that studying Gnostic beliefs is actually quite interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit