" .... but they are prepared to die for it"

by Phizzy 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This Topic is prompted by a phrase used by Darth Rutherford in his excellent life story. He said that JW's sit there nodding their heads at what is said from the Platform, and, I paraphrase, :

"They do not know why they believe as they do, but they are prepared to die for those beliefs".

I feel strongly that JW's in this position, and it is only a very few who can explain and attempt to justify their beliefs, are the same as Radicalised Muslims.

These Islamists, mainly young men, can spout slogans, and can sometimes even explain what their beliefs are in a half-arsed way, but thay cannot explain, in words that actually make rational sense, why they believe as they do.

Jehovah's Witnesses are, in the main, exactly the same. They cannot explain in a way that makes rational sense, why they believe as they do.

To quote Darth Rutherford again, "That is scary".

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Having read Darth Rutherford's post the same phrase stood out for me too.

I would add that not only do they not know why they believe, but also what they believe.

And still willing to die for beliefs they don't even know.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Well put.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They may be prepared to die for it, but are they prepared for worse than death? First, they cut themselves off from Satan--and this is possibly permanent. There is the risk that, even in a future life, joke-hova will continue interfering with their relationship with Satan and make it impossible to reconnect. Plus, they are in for destitution now, and damnation in the future. Their souls are programmed to be poor, always struggling, having difficulty finding mates, and possibly even a low IQ (remember, the jokehovians bash education). They suffer sickness, not only because of the stress the religion puts on them but because they are programmed. And that programming goes into future lives--and, should joke-hova succeed in binding them, it is next to impossible to undo it. Try meditation, and the angels will happily ruin the effectiveness while cutting you off from Satan right from the start.

Dying is obviously the least of their worries.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

This phenomena of extreme devotion, people are capable of in a their

delusion, is seen in religions and the Military, the ability to lay down your life.

Its a human trait we both admire and when misused, we fear, because we know its power.

Animals have been know to display this as well, for their young. The Watchtower exploits

this goodness in people to twist it to serve the organization, to their death.

As Kipling put it:

Half a league, half a league,
    Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.
    "Forward, the Light Brigade!
    "Charge for the guns!" he said:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Villagegirl, that it is similar with the Military man or girl, but not a direct comparison. yes, they die for a belief, in King, Country, Democracy or whatever, but I bet they all can explain what, and why they believe.

It is a very real possibility that the radicalised Jehovah's Witness, who has given away his moral compass to the Governing Body, may well follow some strange command from the GB that will do them and others real harm.

They all sat there nodding their heads when the W.T said that something like that may well happen in the future, "We must obey" is the Mantra constantly running in their heads.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    "Minds must be cleansed" (Watchtower, June 1, 1953, p. 350 par. 24). 24 In these closing days of wickedness Jehovah’s people must demonstrate holiness. They must not foul their minds with the filthy mental food on the propaganda tables of this old world, but must feed on the feast of fat things Jehovah provides. (Isa. 25:6; 28:8.) Minds must be cleansed and made over, mental circuits formed by old-world thinking and acting faded out and new ones put in according to new-world specifications. By privately studying regularly, by attending all meetings regularly, and by engaging in all features of the preaching work regularly mental circuits are deepened and such good activities become habitual, not at all the struggle they are when the mental circuits are weak and faint because used only occasionally. For ourselves and for others, make them strong!—1 Tim. 4:16.

Mind = Brain

Cleanse = Wash

Put it together and what have you got?

....no not bippetty boppetty boo either!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Most who question nothing I agree can't explain their beliefs. But I think that some JWs when it comes to life and death situations wake up and really examine the guidance they are given. Sad to say many just die for the cause.

It's a shame they are indoctrinated so severly, but it's a cult and that's what happens in cults.

Kate xx

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

One of the turning points in my wake-up to the TATT was reading a quote from Bertand Russel:

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."

It stuck with me, and I was never able to forget it.

Conviction is all well and good, but the prospect of betting the farm on something that can't be proven should always give one pause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit