News - closing KH and bldg a new one

by Iown Mylife 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Iown Mylife
  • HeyThere
    HeyThere

does $600,000 sound right for a kingdum hall?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

$600,000 = $130/SF

Very realistic considering free labor.

Doc

• Giordano
    Giordano

“We had kind of outgrown the older building. And we wanted something more
    modern and efficient.”

Why did the old building have windows in it? And here I thought Armageddon was coming any time now.

• Angus Beef
    Angus Beef

ok if they sell for 600,000 it goes back to WT and the congregation gets a new payment book for the new KH? With a never ending payment?

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

That's what I'm thinking, Angus.

Figuring out money and real estate is not easy for me, so i've been reading threads repeatedly that tell about this new money arrangement. I think i've got it now.

A kh built by local brothers with free labor, is sold and the proceeds go to WT.

Now they need a new kh. The WT sends money for materials. Volunteer labor is no-cost to WT. A bigger kh is built, for more than one congregation.

The building is finished, the congregations begin occupancy and begin paying a monthly contribution forever to WT. Whenever WT decides to, they can sell this building and do it all over again and the congregations have to disrupt their lives to undertake another building project.

Marina

• SAHS
    SAHS

“The previous Jehovah’s Witness hall in Augusta at 36 Eastern Ave. was sold last February, and is now home to the Salvation Army’s Capital Region Corps.”

That’s actually one good thing. The old Kingdom Hall building will now have much more practical benefit to the community, as opposed to organizing distribution of pie-in-the-sky magazines with some heavy hidden strings attached to a corporate cult as before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit