divorce rate-education level

by doneandout 7 Replies latest jw friends

• doneandout
    doneandout

In the paper a while ago, there was a study done on divorce rate compaired to education level. Basicly they found higher education went with lower divorces, while lower education went with higher diverces.

And guess where jw fall into?

Also, more lasting harm caused by the jw's lack of education besides lost jobs, even if one does leave.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

There are so many studies on so many differing opinions its really difficult to know which ones are accurate or not. I'd love to see the source for this.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I'd love to see the source for this.

Ditto. I doubt the better educated have the blueprint for happy, long-lasting marriages.

• DJS
    DJS

The data is widely known and available. Education plays a role. So does religion and culture.

In a new study titled "Red States, Blue States, and Divorce: Understanding the Impact of Conservative Protestantism on Regional Variation in Divorce Rates," which will be published later this month in the American Journal of Sociology, demographer and University of Texas at Austin professor Jennifer Glass set out to discover why divorce rates would be higher in religious states like Arkansas and Alabama -- which boast the second and third highest divorce rates, respectively -- but lower in more liberal states like New Jersey and Massachusetts.

It was previously thought that socioeconomic hardships in the South were largely to blame for high divorce rates, however Glass and her fellow researchers concluded that the conservative religious culture is in fact a major contributing factor thanks to "the social institutions they create" that "decrease marital stability."

Also, the following data suggests that the more religious a population is, the less educated and the more dysfunctional the society. This is true whether it is a state or country:

Education: Blue states are better educated than red states.

Degrees: Blue staters are more likely to go to college
    Divorce: Blue staters are more likely to stay married
    Mothers: Blue staters are less likely to get pregnant in their teen years
    Shootings : Blue Staters are less likely to shoot each other to death
    Driving : Blue Staters drive better and have fewer auto accidents
    Crime and Drunk Driving: Blue staters drive (or at least get arrested less) while intoxicated less frequently and are less likely to commit crimes
    Income: Blues make more money
    Obesity - Red State voters are more likely to be overweight and/or obese

• talesin
    talesin

the conservative religious culture is in fact a major contributing factor thanks to "the social institutions they create" that "decrease marital stability."

And that certainly describes the JWs. HELL-LO! :P

And hmm, kinda off-topic, but if a polygamist got rid of all his wives, would that -- statistically -- be one divorce or twenty-seven?

Hmmm \

t

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I did a quick literature review search. The relationship between divorces and education may be related to age. Those with a higher the education generally marry later in life as compared to a person with limited education.

Witnesses tend to marry very young (I was 19 years old in my failed marriage). And of course we know the reason. The sexual drive is very strong and the context of the religion is that sex outside of marriage is very bad. So, if you want to have sex you gotta get married.

I suspect that divorces among witnesses is pretty high. The dilemma is that a divorce is generally associated with a disfellowshipping. And if you are disfellowshipped, you are no longer part of the congregation, so your numbers don't count.

• DJS
    DJS

NY, Thanks. Yes that contiributes. the article i cited included that. Marrying young is also influenced by education and culture in addition to religion.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

So it is a generalization to state that education is a major factor. There is so much to consider. Besides people who do tests often have different results on another study. Different parts of the world have different results for the same studies.

I.e. eggs, bad... eggs ok....eggs bad....eggs are one of the most digestable proteins....eggs have a lot of cholesterol.... wait the cholestrol isnt abosrbed by the body as much as we thought.. LOL please.. People get grant money to conduct these studies.

Bottom line is that human beings are complex creatures and every person is different. My one grandfather smoked from the age of 15 until he died of lung cancer at age 87. My other grandfather smoked for about 15-20 yrs but stopped and died of lung cancer at age 62. So who the hell knows!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit