Ronald Aronson book

by Gypsy Sam 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I'm reading his book, "Living Without God" ~ New Directions for Atheists, Agnostics, Secularists, and the Undecided. It was written in 2008 and is a logical, thought provoking, smooth read.

I am a bit more than half finished and didn't see any other threads on this book. I'm really enjoying it and would recommend it for anyone.

Has anyone else read it? What do you think if it?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks for the recomendation. I am not ready in my journey to read this kind of material. I may sometime in the future. I still believe in God, but I have watch a lot of promotional video's with Bart Ehrman, he presents the facts of the bible in a way the reinforced my doubts that the bible was from God. I find jokes about the bible being from God quite funny.

I have read some of Dawkins and find him condesending towards believers. What is this author like, does he/she use intellectual intimidation aimed at believers?

Kate xx

• Magnum
    Magnum

Never heard of it. But I will check into it. Thanks for the recommendation. I love the recommendations made on this sight. That's how I first learned about Bart Ehrman. I bought two of his books after finding out about him on this sight. Thanks again.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I found this statement in the Amazon review. Kate xx

Living Without God is less interested in attacking religion than in developing a positive philosophy for atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, skeptics, and freethinkers.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Sounds good then Kate, I will have to add it to my increasing list of books I must read.

Boy, did nearly 60 years in the WT keep me ignorant !

Thanks for the recommend Gypsy Sam, is your screen name just for fun , by the way ? only in my life I have met a number of true Romani and have a great respect for their culture, I wondered if you too have connections ?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Marking for later

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Kate, that amazon descriptions sounds perfect. To me, he just seems to use logic and isn't condescending. As I see more workmates cling so fiercely to their faith and look Down on those that don't practice, I worry about where we are headed in the U.S. Religious extremism is an issue and it's contributing to more black and white thinking, us vs. them mentality, which is not a solution. Secular humanism just makes so much sense to me

Phizzy, my screen name is just for fun. I enjoy reading about gypsies and their culture always intrigued me. Another great book, based on his life, is Gypsy Boy, by Mikey Walsh. It reminded me of the closed mind mentality of the witnesses. This was a boy that never fit in with his family and his dad tried to force him to be someone he wasn't. Gypsy culture is closed off from society and it's interesting to compare what this can do to people born into it that don't fit the bubble.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I know what you say is true G.S, though I have not had first hand experience of the harsh side of their life, I have simply met some rather wonderful, and in a way very spiritual Romani who are happy with and proud of their culture.

The old way of life that I remember many of them leading, travelling the Country in their caravans, working where they could, has all but gone now, and many have married "out" so the old ways and customs have become diluted or even lost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit