What exactly did Jesus say when he meant Eternal Life?

by MissConfused 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MissConfused
    MissConfused

Saw a movie - 'Gospel of John', recently. Had some questions:-

1) When Jesus said come follow me and you will get eternal life, what did that mean? Is it as simple as just believe him and there is a place booked in paradise for followers?

2) What did the scriptures mean when he asked his faithful disciples to 'make disciples'. was it ONLY to them or like a network marketing?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

It's worth noting that Jesus never promised ANYONE immortality! He never used the word. He always referred to 'eternal life' or 'everlasting life', but never immortal life!

Only certain ones were gifted and qualified to be evangelizers. In Paul's writings, there is no mention of preaching being a requirement to become an appointed man in the congregation!

(Ephesians 4:8) Wherefore he says: "When he ascended on high he carried away captives; he gave gifts [in] men." Lit., "to the men."

(1 Corinthians 13:8) But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease.......

(1 Corinthians 12:29-30) Not all are apostles, are they? Not all are prophets, are they? Not all are teachers, are they? Not all perform powerful works, do they? Not all have gifts of healings, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all are translators, are they?

(Ephesians 4:11) And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers......

The gifts to men ceased. The men weren't the gifts, it was the abilities which were gifts!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Isn't it possible that the story of Jesus was a reflection of some of the things the Essensins (misspelled) believed mixed with other religions beliefs like the Gnostics, Egyptians, Martaists .

• Perry
    Perry

Is it as simple as just believe him and there is a place booked in paradise for followers?

Yes. But the key is to believe Jesus alone. Trust in him alone.

"Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house." - Acts 16

" That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. 10 For with the heart man believes to righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made to salvation. - Romans 10

The offer from God is nullified by trusting in him and another object of salvation..... like we did with the Watchtower, or like other groups do with their churches or church leaders.

If you will put on Christ like a parachute and trust in him like a parachute, you will be saved from judgment, and be ushered immediately into heaven with God at death. Later, you will get your body back, only better at the resurrection.

However, you cannont put on a parachute and then rely on flapping your arms to help the parachute. Or, you cannot trust in the parachute and at same time trust in the plane that is going down.

It doesn't work like that.

One act of disbelief sold us into sin and death, and because of the blood payment, one act of belief gets us freedom and life. One we had no control over, .... one we do. Because of Jesus, we have the same choice Adam and Eve faced in the beginning - whom to believe.

Many will testify that just asking God to give them this belief will get the relationship going. It did for me.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Three thousand people was added, because they believed,repented,and were baptized. I might not be a Jehovahs Witness but I gladly believe in Jesus.

Acts 2

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

A Vital Church Grows

40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”41 Then those who gladly[g] received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common,

• designs
    designs

sarah- Do you now live communally as verse 44 recommends.

• Fernando
    Fernando

"Eternal life" or "everlasting life" is mentioned nearly 40 times in the Bible.

It is a "free gift" that cannot be earned, deserved or paid for.

It can however be rejected by following religion and religious leaders instead of Jesus.

• designs
    designs

Who convinced you that you don't 'deserve' everlasting life on your own.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

But what does it mean to believe in Jesus?

I think E. Mote gives us a hint in his wondeful hymn, "The Solid Rock"

"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"
    by Edward Mote, 1797-1874

1. My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
    On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
    All other ground is sinking sand.

2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
    I rest on His unchanging grace;
    In every high and stormy gale
    My anchor holds within the veil.

3. His oath, His covenant, and blood
    Support me in the whelming flood;
    When all around my soul gives way,
    He then alone my Hope and Stay.

4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
    Oh, may I then in Him be found,
    Dressed in His righteousness alone,
    Faultless to stand before the throne!

• designs
    designs

The ever running dichotomy of the Bible-

'The LORD has made his salvation known and revealed his righteousness to the nations' Ps.98:2

'In the past God overlooked such ignornance but now commands everyone repent' Acts 17:30

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit