The Bethel "Compound", CULTure & Cults

by Phaedra 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I was reflecting on some of the traditional cults mentioned in Hassan's book that recruit members and have them move into some kind of compound, give up their worldly lives, possessions, leave their families, etc. and work solely for the furthering of the cult... isn't that exactly what "going to Bethel" is?

When you become a Bethelite, you take a vow of poverty and devote your life to the Org. Your environment is controled, your time/schedule managed, meals are at set times and run in a militant style (I've vistited Bethel several times had the "privelege" of joining a couple of dining room meals).

The JW organization runs just like any other typical cult... but has the advantage of having most of its recruits "out in the field", self-supporting, willingly volunteering all their time and resources and autonimity to the cult remotely in congregations throughout the world. Belthelite or not, everything about this high-control group quacks like a duck.

Imagine if everybody who was a dedicated JW had to move into a Bethel-like setting. They have the best of both worlds with the current set up: those who work in the world to support the Org financially and those who give up their entire lives to run it.

Phae

• Londo111
    Londo111

Spot on. Bethel is a cult compound exactly like what the average person on the street thinks of when they think of cults.

Bethel is a cult within a cult.

Reading what really goes on at Bethel helped me when I was waking up.

• cult classic
    cult classic

When I was engaged one of my cousins said "Let me know if you get stuck there and I'll come and break you out."

I still have relatives stuck on the compound

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I had a couple of close friends who studied with me as a teen get accepted into Bethel in the late 80s and they are still there. They've spent the prime of their life serving this organization, from their late 20s, now in their 50s.

He was appointed a Bethel elder right away. I wonder how far they've moved up in their 25+ years there (I haven't been in touch for over a decade).

Phae

• L3G
    L3G

Imagine if everybody who was a dedicated JW had to move into a Bethel-like setting.

Isn't that the new order? I think some Witnesses think so...

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Apostate & Ex-Jehovalarious Meme Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/JWmeme

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Londo111 - "Bethel is a cult within a cult."

Takin' it to a whole 'nother level, huh?

@ Watchtowerfree:

Nice.

BTW, on a serious note, did you know that aw fe years back, a number of intelligence groups in Canada and the US determined that one of the first significant signs a fringe group was starting to seriously go off the rails was a major move out of an urban environment to a rural or semi-rural location?

In fact, it's a major tip-off that three-letter agencies keep their eyes open for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit