When a Whole Branch Went Bad !!(or was it Good?)

by singsongboi 3 Replies latest jw friends

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

When A Whole Branch Went Bad (or Was it Good)? Part 1.

I guess it's too late to get much of the details of this story (outside of the official versions), but we ought not to lose it altogether.

So I'm committing to print what i know of this story, and hoping that somewhere out there will be someone else that knows more than i do, about one of the more exotic incidents in the history of the WTS. A history, so bizarre and yet normal, that it came to be used at gilead (according to one graduate) to illustrate what could happen at the end of the 1000 years, and the release of satan from his binding. Please!, if you can add information, then do so, that we do not lose our history!!!

I never set out to research this story, i was too much the good little dub, but in 1953, the year i started to associate, it was only 9 years since nathan knorr had visited sydney and taken the opportunity to tell a large crowd, in sydney town hall, that they had been disobedient. But there were so many around in those days that had a story to tell about the "great disobedience". so there were many brothers who could talk of little else, so much had it all burned a hole in their soul!!

and the congregation, i first associated with (haberfield) had it's share of people damaged by all those years. harry webster was one. he had been the accountant at 2HD, the newcastle nsw. based radio station**, that took commercial advertising. The sales reps. for the station, as harry tells the story, soon found out how advertising reps. should entertain their clients. Harry no longer associated, but his wife Vi still did, and daughter narelle (who since she had, in those days a suitable flat chest, became an object of interest to a suppressed little gay boi - but, last i heard of narelle, she was sleeping with here arts professor).

Another brother, was Jimmy Connolly, who had been on the "Lightbearer" - a sailing ship bought by the WTS in Australia to preach the good news in the Islands to the North of Australia. But after the Lightbearer, jimmy had been assigned to work in some commercial enterprise or the other, and thoroughly stumbled by the 'bosss' of that enterprise.

The pleasures of such entertainment (well, the grog part anyway) soon came to be shared by all who worked at the station - who, of course, were all volunteers. When i pioneered in newcastle, in the early 1960's, there were lot's of brothers still alive, that could tell you about the prodigious drinking parties at 2HD.

from what i could piece together, the story started when the Australian branch was given permission to buy a property in Beresford Rd, Strathfield. A brother named McGillivray was branch servant (overseer).

The purchase took all funds available and left no money for anything else.and this was, i believe during the 1930's depression. however, Mc was a practical guy, and noticing a lot of paper in one of the storerooms of the old place, got a guillotine, and cut the paper into useable sizes and made enough money to get on a bit with the "work of the Lord".

from such small acorns -- mighty enterprises can grow!!!!!!!

Notes:

** 2HD still exists. tho long since sold by the WTS. it was one of a number owned by the WTS. a cryptic broadcast from one station was the basis of govt. action against the WTS during WW2 as the goverment alleged that the station was broadcasting msgs about troop movement to the enemy. I really don't believe that happened intentionall, but i do believe that there were some brothers that could be a bit dumb, and say stupid things. I no longer remember which station is supposed to have broadcast that msg. but someone else may.

• SYN
    SYN

HAHAHA! More FALSE things printed by the Watchtower!

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293-4 - The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural)

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Well, this is a fascinating story. Which is why I brought it BTTT. Some insider information about the history of the Australian branch, as told by exes, of course, could be useful. It must have been reasonably important; Jaracz served there for a while. But the OP's fears that such histories would probably die without being told by those who were around in those days have probably come to fruition. 😔

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

Cant add much to singsongboi's account. His nick is interesting, whatever possessed him to choose that name ( in S.E.Asia a singsongboi or girl is a prostitute ). I'm going crazy with forgotten faces and names running through my brain.

Some of the names ring a bell in my brain, but not many.

The branch servant, McGillivray, who ssb mentions was before my time too. But the story goes that the Bethel home (then in a Sydney suburb of Strathfield) had been occupied by the army, with armed sentries on guard, day and night. (no doubt to prevent any surreptitious activity in support of the enemy). But the Bethel workers were allowed to continue to live there.

So the the story goes that brother Mc, had been out dining somewhere and came home late and some-what tipsy and was challenged by the sentry and instead of taking it seriously and answering correctly, he said something silly.

So ... the sentry shot him.

I forget where (maybe an arm or leg) and it certainly wasn't fatal, but he must've been the only Australian religious figure ever shot by a soldier doing his duty. (grin).

The Jws, were called, "a national nuisance," at the time, a term I guess that resounds with many readers here.

The WTS hired a lawyer and challenged the Menzies government's ban. The case eventually got to Australia's High Court and in 1943 the ban was revoked.

But years later, householder would still sometimes call us traitors.

Sydney University academic, Jayne Persian, has researched that case, and lots of details can be found in this paper.

https://fac.flinders.edu.au/dspace/api/core/bitstreams/3d2129f3-b63c-460c-ba18-222ddbb7349d/content#:~:text=In%201941%2C%20during%20the%20Second,Australia%20during%20the%20twentieth%20century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit