Memorial talk fact checking - a story

by 88JM 7 Replies latest jw friends

• 88JM
    88JM

This was in the memorial talk here last night, used as an illustration I guess.

I think there is some direction to use an experience like this in the outline, but the story that the speaker told (presented as fact) sounds totally bogus to me, or at best urban legend.

Does anyone know if this is actually true? Here is the story the speaker told:

"Some years ago there was a tragic train accident in England, and sadly some lost their lives. In one of the carriages that was wrecked were about 14 or 15 passengers and safety depended on the gap that was between them and some land. What one of the passengers did was strech himself out as far as he possibly could and his legs were left in the carriage, and he encouraged the passengers to cross over him to safety. And as one, two, three crossed over... they all got to the other side and survived because that man used his body as a human bridge. But sadly in this event, this man lost his life."

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

What's that smell? I smell bullshit here. Anyway, the last night's memorial talk was the lamest one I've ever heard. 10% Jesus, 90% Jehovah; not that I'm a christian or something but isn't it supposed to be about Jesus?

I googled "england train accident sacrafice". There are several stories like the one you mentioned, I mean they are stories with the same moral, any of them could be used as an illustration for Jesus' sacrifice.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I have searched for any similar account and cant find it after several search terms and about 5 minutes, so it is probably bollocks.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Yes. Jesus used HIS body to save others. NOT the GB's body. The speaker just dissed his own hierachy.

Cool.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This makes no sense. If he could bridge the gap with his legs still in the train, then the gap could only have been two or three feet at most, which most people could easily jump. There is a story about trains that is often used to illustrate Christ's sacrifice, it would have been better to use that. In this story, which isn't true either, a man must make a choice between saving his four year old child and letting a train plunge off a bridge or flipping a switch and letting a train safely cross the bridge and letting his child die.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

the last night's memorial talk was the lamest one I've ever heard. 10% Jesus, 90% Jehovah; not that I'm a christian or something but isn't it supposed to be about Jesus?

'

Using that train wreck illustration was ridiculous. People understand what a sacrifice is. The vast majority in Memorial attendance are JW's who have been hearing this all their lives. With Jesus so seldom mentioned in JW theology, and the short time limit on the Memorial talk outline.....you would think they would just use the time to talk about Jesus' sacrifice. No need to waste time talking about some train wreck sacrifice. Of course.....the illustration fits, because the Watchtower Society is a train wreck.

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

Sounds like a cartoon.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

There's a lot to sift through, if anyone wants to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_in_the_United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Railway_accidents_in_England

I've found stories elsewhere of people acting as human bridges, but none involving a railway accident in England.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit