Help with understanding

by Doltologist 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• cappytan
    cappytan

Doltologis: do you have a link to Carrier's stuff? Or a recommendation on where to start?

Which of his books are you reading (or previously read)?

I found this quite interesting from his Wikipedia page:

Though originally skeptical of the Christ myth theory, since late 2005 he has considered it "very probable Jesus never actually existed as a historical person."[12] He also said "though I foresee a rising challenge among qualified experts against the assumption of historicity [of Jesus], as I explained, that remains only a hypothesis that has yet to survive proper peer review."
  • nelim
    nelim

cappytan, I recommend this video, it's an introductory talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYRoYl7i6U

I also enjoyed the following debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgmHqjblsPw

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

After a long discussion with an old JW, in for over 70 years from birth, she had to admit that her "faith" could not be supported by Fact, Logic or Reason, and that it came down to emotion alone.

It must have pained her to admit this, as she no doubt had condemned other religious believers for their emotional expressions, but she had nothing else to fall back on, I had shown all her beliefs to be doubtful at best, so she simply said "But I love my religion" and left the room.

This story is typical of believers, their belief is exactly equal to Delusion. A Mental Problem.

Thanks for telling us of your Aspergers, it may help us to be more appreciative of your insights, you guys and gals have a different way of looking at many things, always useful on a Discussion Board.

I think your approach to Belief, in god jesus etc, is similar to many of us on here, many of us, whether with Aspergers or not, have decided an Evidence based life is the only sensible one.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cappytan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYRoYl7i6U

Also, go to Youtube and type "Richard Carrier". This will bring up numerous videos. Take ya pick and enjoy.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Nelim

My thanks.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Phizzy

Nice post, informative.

My thanks.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Stev2

Spot on.

My thanks for your post.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

The diverse life on Earth, our perfect ecosystem, and our incredibly complex body and mind is more than enough proof that a Creator does exist. How? The water cycle and how this provides enough water to sustain our existence on Earth. The human body with all its organs working in tandem most of them on autopilot. The diverse and incredibly voluminous amount of animal life found on Earth with different characteristics. The Earth being perfectly positioned from the Sun so life can thrive and our moon which provides nightlight and balances the elements so life can thrive in and out of the sea.

The evolving of life on Earth does not automatically lend itself for concrete proof of a divine Being having created everything but it sure closes the window or at least makes it very narrow for all of these things to have happened by complete coincidence. Ask any scientist to estimate the chances of the aforementioned happening and it becomes unrealistic.

And if a divine Being does exist and we have been told about him in the only book to ever survive this long and be the most widely publicized and printed book in the history of man, there has to be some credibility to this divine Being having a Son named Jesus who later on became the Christ.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Given how obvious it is to me that jesus/god don't exist, how come so many people think they do?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Tenacious

Ask any scientist to estimate the chances of the aforementioned happening and it becomes unrealistic.

Please go away and read about science.

Then read about evolution.

Then read about statistical probability.

Then, instead of putting all of these in the context of the "next ten minutes", try placing them in the context of "millions or even billions of years".

Then, you might finally see that, given the time scales involved, even events which are astronomically low in probability become highly probable.

That's the problem with religtards. They take statements and place them in the wrong context deliberately so that people are deliberately misled.

Yes, the possibility that life would develop anywhere in the universe is remote at best and any scientist will tell you that.

Yes, given how long the universe has existed (13,800,000,000 years) and how vast it really is and how many accidental attempts must have been made to create life, it's not surprising that life developed somewhere in the universe. See the Drake equation folks. In fact, it's more than probable that life exists elsewhere in the universe, not just on Earth. AND SCIENTISTS WILL TELL YOU THIS TOO - except that Tenacious isn't telling us this part of the story. He just tells us the part that he wants us to hear and which supports his version of the truth. That is typical religtard tactics.

Oh, and for the record, only 9% of scientists here in the UK believe in god and that number is falling.

Ain't that so Tenacious?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit