kingdom hall ownership

by alfredjones100 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• alfredjones100
    alfredjones100

i know that thoughout other threads and comments, some of this question could be answered but; what in countries are kingdom halls owned by the local congregations? here in australia, everything is already owned by the organisation.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can only speak from my limited knowledge of the way things are done in England. In my day a cong. would buy land for a K/Hall , it would be held by,say, three trustees who were local bros holding it in trust for the benefit of the XYZ Cong. Of J.W's. Many of the older halls are still on that basis.

Where there have been changes, ie new congs and new halls in more recent times The WT Society acts as Trustee holding the land for the benefit of the local cong. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to say what they could or could not do as Trustees over the heads of the cong, but technically at least the WTS are the owners of the land.

I had a discussion with a knowlegeable elder about this and his attitude was that "It all belongs to Jehovah anyway, so what is the problem? It saves us having to find a new trustee when somebody moves or dies "

I did not dare push him too far on the matter but he could not see any difference between God and the WTS.

• Splash
    Splash

If the WT are trustees, they do not have ownership or buying/selling rights, that remains with the congregation trustees (elders).

If the Soc has provided a loan and they are on the deeds to the Kingdom Hall, then that could be altogether different.

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit