Nice conversation

by GoUnion 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

hello everyone i just wanted to give a litte update on what happened today with my tolerant, but still active JW wife. she was at the sunday morning meeting today and when she came home she told me the WT study was about the revised overlapping generation setting. there has been some tension whenever we discuss my differences with current WT beliefs so i was surprised she brough this up. she said alot of people had some interesting comments on the paragraph although she felt that alot of people there did not really understand this new teaching.

after listening to her explain some of the various comments, i told her it was interesting that this paragraph contained no scriptual references that supported their understanding. she replied that she noticed this too and was thinking of maybe writing the watchtower to ask how they came up with this idea. i told her i thought that was a good idea and would help her if she so desired. when she said she didnt know how they came up with this teaching i told her my thoughts that if the starting point of their understanding of Matt 24 is incorrect, any possible interpretations will be incorrect. i then reaffirmed to her that i have no anger or bitterness towards anyone in this organization i just believe some of their teachings are incorrect and i am having a hard time going to meetings and listening to people comment on the ideas put forth in the watchtower, when i was told by the elders that if i were to express my opinions to her or others, that would constitute apostasty. could not the changed ideas of the generation be a form of apostasty from the original teaching?

i explained to her that the watchtower upholds individuals that challenged the church beliefs in the past, why not uphold those same standards for those who sincerely disagree with watchtower teachings? the mere approval of open discussion could result in helping everyone, regardless if they agree on everypoint.

and with that our discussion ended, it only lasted maybe 15 minutes, but we were both calm, relaxed, and it just felt like an honest and open conversation. i hope this could slowly be the start of something good. thanks for the opportunity to vent!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Super happy for you, the start of her mind breaking free. it takes time, it is slow and somtimes she may take a few stps backward. leave her be and she will find her way out of the indoctrination maze. Just be ready with answers for when she is brave enough to share her questions EXACTLY like you did today.

Great to hear, for both your sake, really x

Snare

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Small victories eh? My wife leaned across during the item about using older issues of the magazines when the point was made that they don't go out of date, and whispered scornfully "yes they DO!" And just yesterday she was talking about hating being made to feel guilty for missing a meeting or ministry. Tiny steps in the right direction are SO encouraging....

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Small crack opening in her brainwashing, wish I could say the same for my wife.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Good news.

All the best to you and the lady wife. Xx

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Good to hear that your wife is questioning what's being spouted as "Bible truth", and thinking for herself.

An elderly sister grabbed an Elder after the WT today, and asked him to tell her what exactly Christ has "conquered" since 1914.

Being caught unawares by such a reasonable question, prompted a stuttering, impromptu answer which reinforced in her mind that what the Watchtower said was drivel, and also that his lame reply was drivel!!!

Isn't it wonderful to see & hear such ones in their 70's who recognize a pile of manure when they see it!

The GB haven't a clue how many older ones are being alienated by the changes introduced through the Org's chariot!!

By their fruits......................................................

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

That is a very good start ! Doesn't it feel good to be able to have an honest open conversation for once ?

It took a good two years after my husband and I stopped attending meetings ,that we noticed we felt free and comfortable sharing ideas that were independent and original . The indocrination of the Watchtower society is not an easy thing to break free from ,but it is possible !

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Go Union,

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you and your wife had a nice, calm, productive conversation about the WT's most recent nutiness

... she felt that alot of people there did not really understand this new teaching.

That's because NO ONE really understand this "new teaching." It's nonsense. It's incomprehensible. It is disconnected from reality, logic and reason.

Anyone that claims to understand it is either a fool, a liar or both.

after listening to her explain some of the various comments, i told her it was interesting that this paragraph contained no scriptual references that supported their understanding.

Good observation. Again, that's because there aren't any scriptural references that could support "their understanding"!

she replied that she noticed this too and was thinking of maybe writing the watchtower to ask how they came up with this idea.

This is only a good idea if you understand that, if you get any response at all, it will be a convoluted non-explanation with references to other WTs, an admonition to talk to the elders (who will probably be CC'd with a copy of your original letter and the WTBTS's response), and further exhortation to "wait on Jehovah" and trust his appointed FDS.

i explained to her that the watchtower upholds individuals that challenged the church beliefs in the past, why not uphold those same standards for those who sincerely disagree with watchtower teachings?

Do I really need to explain this to you?

If you disagree with OTHER religions, you are a hero. If you disagree with the FDS/GB/WTBTS, you are an apostate.

It's not about truth or anything else. It's all about obedience.

Listen, Obey and Be Blessed: It's a cult!

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

Oubliette

Do I really need to explain this to you?

If you disagree with OTHER religions, you are a hero. If you disagree with the FDS/GB/WTBTS, you are an apostate.

It's not about truth or anything else. It's all about obedience.

Listen, Obey and Be Blessed: It's a cult!

No i dont need you to explain that to me but sometimes putting things down in writing helps you get your thoughts in order for future conversations. this site has really helped me the last few months.

i went to a funeral at the kingdom hall yesterday for a very sweet older sister that i knew. i talked to nearly everyone from the hall briefly, some a little longer then others, but it was nice to show them im not losing my mind and i that i am living a productful, happy life. one of my wife's friends told her later, "you know he seems like he is doing pretty well." its true, not having to spend a minimum of ten hours a week in some form of service to the WT whether it be meetings, service, or studying for the meetings, really gives you alot of extra time. i have lost about 20 lbs, and pretty much everyone commented on that fact as well. it just was very satisfying for me to make a brief appearance and show people what being away from this organization can do for you.

i just shook my head looking at all these people, sacrificing their family time, health, work, hobbies, and who knows what else, just to comment at meetings or hand out invitations. when i started looking at most "apostate" sites, i was struck by the fact no one was trying to take my time or money, nor where they trying to warp my thinking into becoming some sort of "rebel". i think more and more people are going to wake up and realize that not everything in this organization is as good as it seems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit