Great Awakening--New Light and Old Light

by Band on the Run 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I read about new light here. For many reasons, I am interested in the development of religion in America. Many scholars remark how America has more than its fair share of nutty, unsophisticated religions. Sadly, I never lived in Paris for any long time. Perhaps in the future. When I studied American history I had to read Johnathan Edwards and the Great Awakening. I believe the WT train of thought can be traced to this development. After Edwards, Whitfield, an Anglican preacher, came to the states to promote a very personal and involved Christianity. He mocked the intellectual sermons of the C of E. Many mainstream religions in the statess were transformed by the preaching. There were three Great Awakenings, religious revivals. I was shocked to read of new light and old light. There were sermons about candles.

Do you think this is where the Witnesses adopted new light and old light? The article is involved. Maybe I don't understand all the terms. Education was dismissed by these evangelical movements. I know there is a political dimension.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its kind of like a self promoting marketing scheme that religious institutions like the WTS. use to

attract attention to themselves. The WTS for example pointed its finger at main stream religion as

be tainted and untruthful toward pure righteous spirituality, using the description of False Religion, on the other

hand we offer pure untainted spirituality by god's directly holy spirit.

Along with this acclaimed new light came better and more clearer bible interpretation and people can read and take in this

clearer bible interpretation by purchasing and reading are publications.

Of course in reality the WTS's interpretations were just if not more misinformed and wrong in spite of them being

commercially advantageous but nevertheless they did help toward promoting the WTS. literature to the public.

Ironically by virtue of this pretentious commercialization the WTS. has made itself also into a tainted false religion as well.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do they mean old light and new light in the Great Awakening sense?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes if you go back and look at the front cover of a Zion's Watchtower magazine you'll

see a light tower with its light shining a far.

Intensional symbolism , you bet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit