Watchtower Society now PROMOTES using Social Media / Networks?

by FusionTheism 26 Replies latest jw friends

• FusionTheism
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

They sure have changed their tune since ooooh, 4 or 5 years ago.

Also it sounds like a PSA, most of it is legit, sprinkled with jwism or scripture here and there, but mostly common sense about social networks.

Anyone else find it interesting the Org is using a female to narrate this video? (PLEASE NOTE: this statement does not reflect the views of Freemindfade or any of his associates)

From their standard stance on ladies not teaching, this seems a little strange to me.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

About 10 years ago, we had a local-needs-of-the-circuit talk that said all social network accounts needed to be shut down. That was the "world" and "satan".

Oh how times change.

-TE

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    Oh yeah man. I remember the CO coming around ranting about them. He made it pretty fucking clear you shouldn't use social networks.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    This may mean that they really do want the religion to implode, once social media is used by the average JW it will be a free fall.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"If your parents allow you to have an account......"

WOW!!! That is radically different. I guess it's like this: More than 50% of adults and more than 96% of young ones don't listen to us anyway, so let's just pretend it was okay all along to be on social networks.

Also it sounds like a PSA, most of it is legit, sprinkled with jwism or scripture here and there, but mostly common sense about social networks.

Precisely.

• Deltawave
    Deltawave
    Yes that's right. Social media was a big no no and some elders made a pretty big deal of it if you were found using it. There was a Watchtower article about 3-4 years ago that said it was OK in moderation. It well upset loads who were against the evil satanic media sites.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I see it as spinning it this way: the WT leadership has apparently learned that when they so "No" to the internet and social media, they are being ignored. So they are now trying to make it look like they are simply advising you to "be smart" about it.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    OMG this just blows my mind. What a complete reversal from a few years ago. I can even remember been given council on this. It wasn't to long ago I remember a part on a circut assembly about not been preoccupied with electronic gadgets, now they have brought them into the house of Jah. On saying that however it was a move that was coming sooner or later. Eventually they will be forced to fully embrace it. Wt if you read this "you have come a long way".
  • steve2
    steve2

Well if 9 out of 10 young ones ignore you, you've got some serious face-saving to do. Modern-day face-saving consists of trying to come across as cool and "with it" with no reference to what you had said earlier that was so uncool and not "with it".

Spin is everything...especially when electronic media obligingly updates all your messages - and deletes those that are contrary to your current stand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit