My sister knows I said she was brainwashed

by mimimimi 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Around Memorial time this year, I stated to my nephew on Facebook that my sister was brainwashed. Stupid me putting that on a public forum! He was offended because she continues to invite him to the Memorial even though he has PTSD from his JW experiences growing up. She pooh-poohs this as the cause of his PTSD, thereby negating his feelings.

Yesterday I found out that some helpful soul had repeated this comment to my sister. She is not on Facebook because she is married to an uber elder who does everything by the book, therefore she does, too, and I suppose it is still recommended they do not get on Facebook. So she is offended.

Brainwashing by Merriam-Webster dictionary - "Persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship." This is the secondary definition. The first one is "a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas". I apply the second definition of brainwashed to her because she, like me, is a born-in so she did not give up any other beliefs or attitudes to accept the WT indoctrination.

She and I talk very little - maybe 3 or 4 times a year and do not spend any time together. Her life is filled with all things WT and mine is filled with my family - husband, kids and grandkids - and living life. Our younger sister is the one she told about me saying this and I know our younger sister would like me to apologize or reach out in some way, but I am not inclined to do so. I think it is unfortunate that this was repeated to her and I regret that I was so foolish as to put this opinion up in a social forum, but there it is, done and over. I am sorry she is offended, but not for what I said.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

You have a right to your thoughts, feelings, and opinions. Apologize for NOTHING. They are the ones in a highly-controlling CULT, not you, hence you are not under their control. That's what's REALLY bothering your sister, that you don't recognize her imaginary perceived piousness out over her.

• happy@last
    happy@last
    Until proved otherwise you are right and do not need to make any apology
  • mimimimi
    mimimimi
    WingCommander and happy@last, I think you are right - no apology. I suspect she and I will not be talking again, but we talk so little now anyway that it will not matter. If I needed a hearing ear or companionship, she already was someone I would not go to. We really have so little in common.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

Wasn't there something on JW Broadcasting since October about JW's being "brainwashed." And that it was a good thing?

I believe brother Herd said something like that on his broadcast.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead
    Why can't you simply say "I'm sorry you were offended?" That's not apologizing for what you said, but for the fact that it might have hurt her feelings. Is it that big a deal for the sake of some peace in the family? You are then the bigger person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit