Anyone remember the old Beliefnet Poster - Apologist?

by TheListener 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheListener
    TheListener

Several years ago on Beliefnet there was a JW Apologist named "Apologist". He was very well written and defended the dubs very well. He had several debates with Auld Soul and others on Beliefnet which were fun to read.

I recently found out that the poster "Apologist" is no longer a witness and does not consider them to have the "truth". Here is a link to the article I read.

The article gives his real name - Edward Andrews. On Beliefnet "Apologist" put his real name at the bottom of his posts which is why I knew it was the same person.

http://www.examiner.com/article/former-jehovah-s-witness-talks-about-his-journey-to-biblical-christianity

• suavojr
    suavojr

I guess this is why no one from the GB will openly debate others because then they would turn rogue

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Actually his book sounds like it would be worth reading!

I am going to order it for the local book store.

Hope he becomes famous!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yet another smart, articulate guy that the WTS has lost to the other side...

suavojr - "I guess this is why no one from the GB will openly debate others because then they would turn rogue"

Or to put in more simply, in this day and age, the WT rep would simply lose the debate.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

We see this every now and again, don't we. I miss Auldsoul too.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

He did (does?) have a prickly arrogance to him which I found irritating. Still, he devoted himself, perhaps obsessively, to biblical education/learning; he didn't like the Org's stance on higher education and individual biblical research and went to Theological College despite obstacles and attitudes (including from some evangelicals due to his beliefs at the time). Gotta give the guy credit for his energy, determination and standing by his beliefs.

• Antioch
    Antioch

It boggles my mind that rational truth-seeking people can leave the JWs but retain Christian Bible beliefs. If you maintain the basis of the Biblical Christian paradigm, then JWs continue to have THE most rational and thorough approach to a Biblically cogent story line. This is why they can use that "To who else would we go to?" argument to such great effect. They feel like they have a monopoly on the rational and honest approach to the Bible story. I mean, if you think JWs have problems keeping a logical story running, then don't even try other Christian story-lines (faiths).

I would love to see a diagram of how far back they dug and then the logical steps from those precepts to their conclusions (eg Weslyn faith).

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

It boggles my mind that rational truth-seeking people can leave the JWs but retain Christian Bible beliefs.

(2)

The same method used to refute the WT can be used to refute every form of christianity.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

John_Mann - "The same method used to refute the WT can be used to refute every form of christianity."

I have to say, I have a hard time arguing with that one; probably why I'm firmly in the "non-religious" column at this point.

I still have respect for churches that utilize the democratic process, embrace fiscal and policy transparency, respect the discoveries of science and history, and promote positive community activism, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit