To be or not to be ?

by sparrowdown 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I am seriously considering applying for position as a suicide hotline counselor.

I have always wanted to do this and when I was going to meetings I held back because of not wanting to "stumble" anyone. (stupid I know).

They are desperate for people so they provide the training free of charge. You just have to do your share of night shift.

Does anyone know anything about this sort of job? I understand it's not for everyone and quite a few burn out.

sparrow

• eva luna
    eva luna

Greetings sparrow,

Since it 's something you have wanted to do. Do it. It may be your calling.

I can't anwser the burn out part.

My cousin is working on the rape crisis hotline.

She has not been raped, but her close friend was. She was there for her, Her friend told her it kept her from offing herself.

So litlle cousin is helping others. Yes, the late shift too.

I believe helping others, we heal ouselves too and any other person that you share this with.

You will be doing a very positive and honorable thing.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Go for it!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks eva,

I also believe that in helping others we help ourselves. The sexual assault hotline is another division of this counselling service, so there are a few courses to choose from. I am feeling quite excited about it.

I would meet so many people out witnessing with real problems and felt unable to offer any real help other than a lame offer of a bible study which always seemed so insensitively inadequate. I was disgusted by most bro's and sis's attitude to people with suicidal ideation. It will feel good to do something worthwhile.

sparrow

• eva luna
    eva luna

I do know the JDub help personaly. As a teen I tried to off myself. The Family sent me to the Elders.

I was told they were going to be like Uncles.

Nope. They told me I have offended Jehovah and I needed forgivness. I was to bad to pray , so they did it for me.

Very messed up.

Go give real help and feel proud sparrow.

crap, my lamp is blinking..god's mad..LOL..jk

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think this is an excellent way to go sd , very commendable for you wanting to do something like this, rather than wasting your time and everybody elses time trying to convince people to join a cult. I too have pondered over doing a counselling course since I have retired and so far not done anything about it.Been too busy involving myself in many other activities all at once , and have now left them all .You have re-ignited my interest in offering myself as a counsellor , I personally know of a few people who have committed suicide both in the religion and non jw`s at least 5 people in all , that i can recall off hand.

smiddy

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks smiddy,

There was a bro in our cong who hung himself and I expected there to be a local needs on depression at the very least, but nothing. The elders did'nt skip a beat it was just business as usual. It reminded me of the old movie The Time Machine when the guy is in the future world and this young woman is drowning in the river and everyone just ignores her cries for help.

All the best for your future endeavors. sparrow

eva,

Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

As long as so called christians view suicide as a sin they are part of the problem not part of the solution.

The last thing someone at wit's end needs to hear is that their final act of desperation is a sin against god. It's criminal.

sparrow

Cheers sarah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit